GA-7N400 memory question

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by RubberOnion, Jul 15, 2007.

1. RubberOnion

RubberOnion

I'm a animator and recently went digital. Well... the programs that I use are very memory hungry and I often need multiple open at the same time (Photoshop/Illustrator, Flash, After Effects, Sound Forge, etc...).

I have a Gigabyte 7N400 (not pro... not L... just 7N400). I have the specs around here somewhere I'm sure but the memory that's in it now is 2 dual channel 256 MB sticks PC3200 (CL 2-6-3-3).

I need more.

I remember wanting to upgrade before and finding out that this particular MoBo supports 3GB of RAM but there's something with it only having 5 sides to work with... so you can only have 2 dual channel chips in and I guess the other slot is just wasted? I would LOVE to get up to 3GB if someone knows enough about that particular MoBo. I was over in the OCZ forums earlier posting about this same question and a guy said that the nForce 2 model is too old and wouldn't be stable running anything more than 1 GB total RAM. Is this right? Am I doomed to either choose between a "deficient" memory system or an unstable system unless I get a completely new one?

Obviously if you need more information of my setup I'll do my best to find it and post back.

RubberOnion, Jul 15, 2007
Ask a Question