GA-7N400 Pro2 - CMOS + reset loop problem

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by oakland600, Dec 10, 2006.

  1. oakland600

    oakland600

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2006
    Hi there,

    Hope someone can help…..

    First problem I had related to the PSU not working properly. The PC kept cutting out on start-up, it was only after pressing the start button/re-set button several times that the PC managed to finally get to the desktop. This problem has got worse and a few days ago during the usual dozen or so attempts at trying to get it started I noticed an error on the first start-up screen (the one where it does the memory check). The error message was:-

    “CMOS checksum error – defaults loaded
    F1 to continue. Del to enter setup/Dual Bios, F9 for xpress recovery

    08/02/2004 nvidia-nforce-6A61BG0MC-00”

    I took the F1 option and it got as far as the windows logo appearing with the scrolling progress bar. The pc then did a re-set by itself but this time there was no cmos error message. However it again did the re-set at the windows logo. So it seemed to be caught in some kind of re-set loop. I switched it off at the PSU as this was the only way I could power it down.

    The next day I couldn’t get it to power-up at all. The PSU had packed in I guess.

    I replaced the PSU with another and on start-up it went into the re-set loop again.

    After a bit of research I replaced the cmos battery from my other PC and tried it again. This time the old CMOS error appeared but this time when I took the F1 option it loaded up windows without any problem. However the processor speed is not appearing correct in the device manager, but I think I know how to fix this in the BIOS/mobo. Unfortunately when I now re-start the PC it goes back into the re-set loop. The only way I can get the PC to boot ok is by taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in. This only works once and after a re-boot I need to do it again.
    I am actually using the pc now to post this, and it’s been working ok for about an hour, but I know if I re-start I will get the re-set loop problem.

    Can anyone offer any advice?
    Thanks in advance.

    Ian

    oakland600, Dec 10, 2006