    All I get is a click, and a quick run down to: "Verifying DMI pool data
    ..............."

    Tia

    HMGI, Mar 11, 2005

  2. HMGI

    jpsga Guest

    ideas:
    Set the BIOS to 'Load Fail-Safe Defaults'
    Move to the back-up BIOS chip in Dual BIOS
    Drives not configured correctly.
    Use the manufactures install floppy to check for fdisk and format.
    Boot sequence wrong

    JPS

    jpsga, Mar 12, 2005

  3. HMGI

    Ranay Guest

    JPS

    I tried the "Load Fail Safe Defaults" - didn't work.
    I went to back-up Bios chip and Dual Bios - didn't work.
    The 2 drives that I need to use came from a swap out of MBs.
    (Abit KD7 "junk" to GA-7N400 Pro w/4 new 512mb 3200pc sticks)
    One drive has Windows 2000 pro sp4 on it and a LOT of other programs I need.
    I really need to use that drive at least.
    Tried setting the master / slave jumpers - didn't work
    Both drives are jumped to cable select at the moment.
    I believe if I use fdisk and format, I'll loose everything on the disk.
    I tried a clean drive last night and tried to load Windows 2000 on that
    one - didn't work.
    Even swapped cables - of all things
    I changed the boot sequence to - Floppy - HD0 - HD1 - didn't work
    I'm completely baffled on this one.

    The Cat

    Ranay, Mar 12, 2005
  4. HMGI

    jpsga Guest

    Believe that there is a fdisk /mbr that repairs only the mbr.
    Why do you use cable select on this board?
    JPS

    jpsga, Mar 12, 2005
  5. HMGI

    billA Guest

    i have this board, rev 1 with f5 (bios a little out-of-date) but works
    ok

    i never got it to finish booting with four sticks of 512, the manual
    says the sticks in slots 3,4 have to be single sided (i never could
    find them--- only the double sided 512) so i run with 1 gb

    to get started, try a single stick of memory and see if it gets beyond
    dmi memeory pool.

    i suspect your disks are fine, the design of the board has a problem
    with too much memory (the chip set choice i guess, lots of boards using
    the same chip set have only three slots, i bet there is good reason for
    that little detail)

    billA, Mar 12, 2005
  6. HMGI

    Ranay Guest

    JPS:

    I switched the jumpers to master/slave and it's not doing anything.

    Sorry about the switched systems (Ranay) I have 6 systems (well 5 right now)

    The Cat

    Ranay, Mar 12, 2005
  7. HMGI

    Ranay Guest

    billA

    I have double sided sticks in slots 1&2 and singles in 3&4 (6 banks and it
    reads ok)
    I have the exact system (this one - Ranay) and it works perfectly.
    That's why I dumped the old Abit KD7 and went to the GA-7N400 Pro2 in the
    other system.
    This system is almost identical to the one I'm having issues with.
    The only difference between the two systems is that this one started out
    with 2 blank 80gb hds.
    The one I'm having issues with already had Windows 2000 pro one drive.

    The Cat

    Ranay, Mar 12, 2005
  8. this still me, on a different system

    as you have a nearly identical system to try things on, have you tried
    the cables and hard drives hooked to the working system, that would
    eliminate or isolate cable-drives not working.

    depending on how brave you are, you could try the working system disk
    on RANAY? system in the new one. That should isolate if it is a
    motherboard fault. Gigabyte makes very good boards, but even they have
    quality problems from time to time. with all the time spent, you may
    be better off RMAing the board.

    the final possibility is the power supply is not up to the task. The
    Pro boards eat the watts pretty good. The extra load of two disks may
    be making something marginal in one of the various voltages which the
    old board could work ok with.

    william.arnold.sr, Mar 12, 2005
  9. HMGI

    Ranay Guest

    William:

    As a matter of fact I just placed the issue drives in my hot swap box.
    (6 ICYDock USBs / one to each system)
    The drives read in this system - I can read everything ...

    The Cat

    Ranay, Mar 12, 2005
  10. HMGI

    Ranay Guest

    William:

    You may have hit on something ...

    The PSU is a ToPower 470 w - approximately 5 years old
    The old system had the following
    Abit KD7
    AMD 3000+ XP
    DVD
    CD/RW
    CDROM
    Tape drive
    750 Zip
    Multicard reader
    Audigy 2 ZS
    BGF 5950 Ultra
    (2) Maxtor 80 gb hds (8mb)
    21 fans (various sizes)
    However, I never had an issue with power
    The old Abit KD7 used registered memory
    It was VERY slow, stable, but VERY slow ...
    Thus:
    The new configuration:
    Same PSU
    I dumped the Tape drive and Zip
    and installed (2) 4 bay fan controllers (Mitron - nice fcs by the way)
    It's the same set up as RANAY
    RANAY has a TTGI 550w PSU

    The Cat

    Ranay, Mar 12, 2005
  11. the culprit may be the fan controllers, they use far more power than
    the staright fan alone. all those fans might be drawing down the 5v
    rail on your power supply. the problem with even 400-500 watt
    supplies, they are peak ratings and fans draw continuous and every
    board chip set seems to use the +/- 12v at different levels.

    might try disconnecting every thing but the mb and disks and see what
    happens, fortunately, popping in new PSU not to bad in most cases.

    william.arnold.sr, Mar 12, 2005
  13. HMGI

    HMGI Guest

    William:

    I disconnected the fans and tried it - no change - still clicks, then hangs
    on Verifying DMI Pool Data ...
    Fortunately, I wired every fan from the controllers to a double gang 16 pin
    Molex CGrid connector
    Made that task easy ...
    Per the advice of others,
    I'm going to load the OS on a new HD from another system (this one)
    Then place it in the issue system.
    I'll see if that plus a new PSU is what it takes.

    The Cat

    HMGI, Mar 13, 2005
  14. HMGI

    no_one Guest

    Why do you quote a whole message just to add two lines?????

    no_one, Mar 14, 2005