    3. Any other opinions? Comments? Things to WATCH OUT FOR (to avoid
    screwing up my data/system)?

    TIA.

    HammerToe, Jul 12, 2004

  2. HammerToe

    Jason Ash Guest

    Well, having recently read an article on AnandTech.com about the
    "benefits" of running RAID-0 on the desktop, I'm looking to replace my
    RAID array with one big SATA drive.

    Essentially, they found that in "real-world" benchmarking, using an
    Intel D875PBZ motherboard, and the built-in SATA RAID controller and a
    pair of WD Raptors.

    The results? The only place where the RAID array had a decent lead was
    in the "pure hard disk performace" test, using WinStone. Everywhere
    else, a single Raptor was usually within 2-3 seconds of the performance
    of the RAID array. Tests were such as the time it took to load levels in
    games and such.

    That said, I'm planning to dump my RAID array (using the PATA RAID of
    the N400Pro2 rev2) as soon as I can swing a SATA 200GB 7200RPM drive....
    --
    Reply to for SPAM only

    All others use:
    m0ng0lh0rde @ ukonline . co . uk