    I'm just wondering, then if my machine would be okay without the fan, or is
    it essential that it remain. And if it needs to remain, are there any
    reommendations for a new fan that I could buy that would be silent.

    The Maxx, Jul 24, 2003

  2. The Maxx

    Gerd Hardt Guest

    Hi,

    I removed the fan one year ago. Up to now I've had no problems with my
    GA-7VAXP-Ultra. It seems that the fan isn't necessary if you don't
    overclock your board.

    Gerd

    Gerd Hardt, Jul 25, 2003

  3. The Maxx

    The Maxx Guest

    Thanks very much for your help and suggestions. I've just removed the fan
    and left the heatsink to see if everything will go okay. I think I read
    somewhere that the noise is often due to the fact that the manufacturer uses
    cheap sleeve bearing fans instead of ball bearings. Oh well as long as
    nothing melts I don't care.

    The Maxx, Jul 25, 2003
  4. The Maxx

    Jeff Guest

    I also think they put them on just so the board looks cool with all
    the see through windows in cases these days! Hell....fans with leds. I
    thought computers were to work on and play games for some....hard to
    do if you are staring at all the cool gizmos meant to remove $$ from
    your pocket!

    I have extra cooling just because I live in the desert southwest and
    it gets into the higher 70's in the house before the air conditioner
    kicks in.

    My Northbrifge has a fan, the Radeon Pro 9700 has a fan, there are 1
    intake fan and 2 exhaust fans in the case + the 2 fans in the power
    supply...not to mention the monster Delta on my coolermaster heatpipe
    cpu cooler...should have bought stock in fan companies! <grin>

    However my CPU Athlon 2400+ does not get over 38 degrees under load
    and the case temp about 36 degrees....means a little more life for
    everything I guess!
    SORRY FOR THE RANT!

    Jeff, Jul 26, 2003