GA-7VAXP, USB 2, Stability in Linux?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by James Cort, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. James Cort

    James Cort Guest

    Hi,

    I've got a GA-7VAXP which I bought back in February.

    It was shipped with BIOS ver. F10, which was fine. Except a couple of
    weeks ago I bought a USB 2 external hard disk which wouldn't work except
    as a USB 1 device.

    So I re-flashed it to BIOS ver. F14, and the disk works fine as USB 2.

    Unfortunately this had the side effect of making my system very unstable.
    I tried resetting CMOS to fail-safe defaults, this fixed stability but
    broke broke USB 2.

    Essentially I therefore have a motherboard which is either stable or works
    reliably with USB 2. Has anyone else experienced similar problems? I
    exclusively use Linux, but I've heard of similar issues in XP.

    Many thanks

    J.

    James Cort, Jan 7, 2004