    isn't defective, because it works fine once assigned a static IP. If
    anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Mar 31, 2005

  2. What are you using for a DHCP server?

    Travis Jordan, Apr 2, 2005

  3. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    For some strange reason DHCP doesn't work with the onboard LAN,
    A linksys router. Any other machine on the network that needs an IP
    gets it just fine from it.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 2, 2005
  4. Got any software firewall filters installed? Perhaps the server isn't
    receiving the DHCP REQUEST packet or the client isn't getting the OFFER
    packet.

    Travis Jordan, Apr 3, 2005
  5. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    Got any software firewall filters installed?

    Nope just stock XP SP2, and I tried turning its own firewall off.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 4, 2005
  6. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    Got any software firewall filters installed?

    Oh and this problem was also happening with Windows 98SE, no software
    firewall of any kind.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 4, 2005
  7. What is the default speed of the card, is it set to auto-negotiate? Try
    setting it to 10mb/s and see if that changes anything.

    You have sufficient IP addresses available in the DHCP server scope,
    right?

    When you boot your system with DHCP enabled does XP assign a APIPA
    address (i.e. 169.254.x.x.) when it can't get a response from the DHCP
    server?

    Finally, try uninstalling and reinstalling the TCP protocol. Make SURE
    you have an operable driver (not necessarily the lastest one...) for
    that VIA network interface chip. Are you using this one?

    http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/D...d/FileList/Driver/driver_lan_via_6103_win2003

    Travis Jordan, Apr 4, 2005
  8. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    What is the default speed of the card, is it set to auto-negotiate? Try
    I believe it's set to auto with the viaset utility for the onboard
    nic, I'm not sure offhand.
    I have it set for giving out 5 IP's, all machines/devices on my
    network are static IP's, the only reason for having those 5 is for
    customers machines (like the one with this GB board)
    No it just keeps trying to get an IP address, the taskbar icon keeps
    searching for one, and ipconfig /release just says it's already
    released, and ipconfig /renew says access denied (and yes this account
    is logged in with admin rights).
    No I'm using the latest one from viaarena.com, and also this is a
    fresh load of XP. I figured 98 wasn't working because it was a pretty
    old load and had some problems, but I thought XP would pick it up,
    especially on a fresh reload.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 4, 2005
  9. Are you sure there is ONLY ONE DHCP server on the network?

    Travis Jordan, Apr 4, 2005
  10. Is there anything useful in the XP Event Log?

    Travis Jordan, Apr 4, 2005
  11. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    Are you sure there is ONLY ONE DHCP server on the network?

    Quite :)

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 5, 2005
  12. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    Is there anything useful in the XP Event Log?

    Didn't check. Will do so next time the customer's machine is here,
    but I doubt there will be anything useful.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 5, 2005
  13. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    Travis thanks for the ideas, but I think I've now narrowed down what's
    really going on. I installed an ATI card in a machine tonight (not a
    gigabyte board) and the network completely stopped working (even with
    a static IP...). I was able on this board to disable the "assign IRQ
    for VGA" and poof, the network magically worked again. I think the
    problem lies in the ATI not sharing it's IRQ more so than it being a
    problem with the board, however if I remember correctly there was no
    option to turn off the IRQ for VGA on this gigabyte board (which
    really sucks!). Anyway I should have that customer's machine back
    tomorrow to work on, if there is an option to turn the VGA/IRQ off
    I'll do so and I'll bet that solves the DHCP problem. It really
    sucks, as ATI makes pretty nice cards.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 7, 2005
  14. GlassVial

    CoOLJaMiN Guest

    i have the onboard lan problem too me thinks its service pack 2. How i
    solved this problem using a static ip is disable the dhcp service on
    both host and client machines, In control panel\admistrative
    tools\services in the services (local) tree you will see dhcp client,
    double click that and then change the automatic setting to disbled.
    when setting the tcp gateway on the client machines right click on my
    network places select properties, right click on local network
    conection select properties double click on internet protocol tcp\ip,
    you will see (use the following ip address) check that & type in
    192.168.?.? the q mark equals any number between 1 and 255 (you can
    use 0 on the first parameter ? but not on the second). set default
    gateway to 192.168.0.1 ... now here is the important part preferred
    dns put your default gateway address 192.168.0.1 ... reboot all the
    machines logon and make sure you allow the client firewalls to allow
    192.168.0.1 and the host to allow your new client ip address you
    assigned i have found this to be stable and very secure as your host
    is not broadcasting ip address's to any machine that tries to log on
    and you dont have to allow an ip field on your host's firewall ie:
    192.169.0.1-192.168.255.255 this confines your network to allow only
    the ip's you define in your firewall and solves the problem of the
    dhcp assigning your ics host bogus ip address's to your clients "its
    rock stable"

    CoOLJaMiN, Apr 14, 2005
  15. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    I don't have an ICS machine giving out IP's. Besides, I already
    posted the problem is that the ATI video card doesn't share it's IRQ,
    and there's no way to disable "assign IRQ for VGA" in the BIOS of this
    board (boo, gigabyte!). If I could do that, or if I had another video
    card (ie NVidia) I'm sure DHCP would work fine.
    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 14, 2005
  16. GlassVial

    CoOLJaMiN Guest

    its become clear to me this network is not an ics network and the
    customers connect through a router. research has shown me the dhcp
    service is security for customers at the expense of server security
    Ie: to allow ease of automated connections & giving a new ip to
    the clients when the client logs on so hackers cant harrass clients
    on the same static ip ... hmm ,Its not clear to me what sought of
    service you are running: isp ect so the advantages of running dhcp
    cant be acertained. do you connect out to a different sevice ect
    there are a lot more complications to the problem here other than
    interupt requests. Please give more details

    CoOLJaMiN, Apr 15, 2005
  17. GlassVial

    GlassVial Guest

    its become clear to me this network is not an ics network and the
    None of that matters. The DHCP was for ease of use, the customer is
    not technically minded. Again, it is/was a hardware conflict with the
    ATI video card, which there is no way to resolve other than changing
    to an NVidia card, as there's no option to disable "Assign IRQ to VGA"
    on this board, as there IS on SO many other boards out there (why,
    Gigabyte, why??). Anyway, a static IP works fine for their use and I
    consider that case closed until the board or video card are changed.

    -GV

    GlassVial, Apr 15, 2005