GA-7VRXP Raid Yet Again

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by dperez, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. dperez

    dperez Guest

    OK, I read a bunch of old notes about problems setting up Raid with the 7VRXP
    motherboard. Here's my setup:

    IDE1 Master 18GB system and stuff - boot disk
    IDE1 Slave 40GB

    IDE2 Master CDRW
    IDE2 Slave DVDRW

    IDE3 Master 160GB Removable carrier (master? of a security array)
    IDE3 Slave 80GB Removable carrier (ARRAY of 1 stripe disk)

    IDE4 Master 160GB (slave? of a security array)
    IDE4 Slave nothing

    Unlike the other problems, MINE created the security array with absolutely no
    problem... It used the 160GB master on IDE3 and the 160GB master on IDE4
    and worked (and as far as I can tell, still works) FINE.........

    BUT, I WANTED to put another 80GB drive in as the slave on IDE4. Unfortunately,
    every time I plug the drive in and reboot, the system tells me it had an error
    creating the array and won't boot. I KNOW I can't have the two 80 GB drives in
    a security array, but I was under the impression that I COULD plug a drive into
    the position as slave on IDE4 and the system would make it an array of 1
    stripe(d) disk. How come I'm getting this error?

    Also, the two drives in IDE3 are on removable carriers. This is so I can take
    them to another computer when needed. Later, after I've done whatever I can
    bring them back and plug them into the primary machine. BTW: The primary
    machine is OFF while all this is going on... If I do this, HOW do I ENSURE that
    the 160 GB drive I've removed and changed will NOT be modified, but rather will
    MODIFY THE DRIVE ON IDE4 to match? I guess what I'm asking is how the system
    KNOWS WHO to use as the primary drive in a 2-drive security array? 'Cause I MAY
    delete files on the drive while attached to the other computer, or edit them, OR
    add a bunch of new files. When I plug it back into this machine I want to be
    sure the drive on IDE4 is updated to match IDE3, NOT the other way around...

    dperez, Nov 29, 2003

  2. You'll need another 80gig in ide4 for raid to see it and boot up normallly.
    I ran 3 drives on ide 3 & 4 , but not on raid mode. Strictly IDE.

    Henry Mayoral, Nov 30, 2003

  3. dperez

    Muttley Guest

    The RAID manual says that you can only create one two drive mirror array.
    Will probably have to use a hacked full RAID BIOS to get the extra drive
    working..

    When you do the drive rebuild, you specify which drive is to be used as the
    source.....
    Dunno if the Mirror RAID is able to cope with what you want to do. ie
    removing one disk and changing it's contents on another system.
    The RAID mirror is meant to protect from a total drive failure of one of the
    two drives.....

    John S.

    Muttley, Nov 30, 2003
  4. dperez

    dperez Guest

    Well, I'm still not sure what's going on, but the problem APPEARS to be the 80G
    drive...

    I've got a 160GB master on IDE3 and an 80GB slave on IDE3.
    I've got a 160GB master on IDE4 and NOTHING as slave.

    Works FINE when the slave is an 80GB Western Digital.

    The two 160GB drives become an array and the 80GB becomes a stripe unit.

    BUT, when I put a Seagate Barracude 80GB drive on IDE4 as slave EVERYTHING
    FAILS..................

    Leave it out, EVERYTHING WORKS............

    SO, I pulled the slave drive off IDE 3 and put the Barracude on as the slave on
    IDE 3....... EVERYTHING FAILS.........

    It APPEARS that if I put the Barracude drive on either IDE 3 or IDE4 as a slave
    THE WHOLE RAID THING FAILS...

    Yes, its SET as a slave. And YES, if I put it on IDE 1 or IDE 2 it works
    fine... Is there ANY CHANCE that a 7200 RPM, few month old, BARRACUDA drive is
    NOT capable of handling ATA 133? 'Cause thats the only thing I can think of...

    In either case, I just stuck the drive in a different box so things are working
    fine, although it'd be nice to have the extra storage....

    dperez, Dec 1, 2003