GA-8I875 ICH5R SATA RAID 1 support ?

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by New Startup, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. New Startup

    New Startup Guest

    I am looking at building a new system and using 2 SATA drives in a RAID 1
    configuration for reliability.

    I want to use the GA-8I875 board but although this board uses the Intel
    ICH5R chip it does not appear to support SATA RAID 1 only RAID 0.

    The specs. for the GA-8IK1100 and GA-8KNXP boards both mention ICH5R
    support and have BIOS updates to support SATA RAID 1 through ICH5R but the
    GA-8I875 has no BIOS update for ICH5R RAID 1 support.

    Does the GA-8I875 support SATA RAID 1 through the ICH5R ?

    Or

    Should I just go for the GA-8IK1100 board as there does not seem to be much
    difference between that and the GA-8I875 ?

    Thanks

    Peter

    New Startup, Feb 23, 2004

  2. New Startup

    Eric Wolfe Guest

    The manual and the website for the GA-8IK1100 says, in a number of places,
    that it will ONLY do SATA RAID 0 and only under WinXP but I converted such a
    machine from a striped array to a mirrored array under W2KP w/SP4. There
    was absolutely no way to tell for sure (I posted several questions here that
    went unanswered) other than rebuilding the array, as far as I could tell.

    If I had believed the manual, I might have gone out and bought a standalone
    SATA RAID card when I didn't have to.
    Well, the only answer I can give is that I know RAID 1 works on the ICH5R
    chipset in the GA-81K1100 and so far, it seems to be a nice board. Running
    a Matrox 550 dual head video card and two Seagate 120GB SATAs.

    Eric

    Eric Wolfe, Feb 24, 2004

  3. New Startup

    Tim Guest

    RAID 1 works on ICH5R - people are using it on many boards.
    Go to the intel site and get the driver update.

    GA is very slow at updating its drivers etc.

    - Tim

    Tim, Feb 24, 2004