GA-8IG1000 Pro Intermittent Boot failure

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Terry Bell, Jan 6, 2004.

  1. Terry Bell

    Terry Bell Guest

    I bought this computer recently:
    GA-8IG1000 Pro
    P4-2.6
    512mb Twinx-3200 (400MHz) DDR RAM COrsair
    ATI Rdn 9200, 64Mb 128 bit
    Barracude 7200.7, 80Gb 7200Rpm 8.5 Ms SATA
    WIndows 2000 sp4
    I get an intermittent error during cold Boot:
    After "Verifying DMI Data Pool ......."
    (long pause here) then
    "A disk read error occurred press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
    When I do this it boots up OK.
    It also seems very slow to boot sometimes - over a minute. Is this
    normal?
    The guy who sold it to me said to download the latest BIOS from
    Gigabyte - which I did, but I still get the same error - sometimes.
    Not a motherboard expert ... appreciate any help.
    Terry Bell

    Terry Bell, Jan 6, 2004

  2. Terry Bell

    wayne Guest

    If I had to guess the boot order for your system does not show the sata
    drive first so it is going thru a bunch of options or the drive is slow in
    spinning up. By boot do you mean windows starts or completes if you mean
    slow to complete it may be trying to load something that it cannot find
    check the event viewer Start-Run-Eventvwr to see if there are any errors
    listed!

    Wayne

    wayne, Jan 6, 2004

  3. Terry Bell

    James Henry Guest

    Well, other than the mainboard, SATA drive, and the same problem, my
    computer is nothing like yours. It is an ABSPC built-to-order. It has a
    P4 2.8, 1 Gig of RAM, and a 120 Gig Seagate SATA.

    It hasn't failed recently. I suspect it has to do with the spin-up time.
    The Gigabyte web page makes reference to a problem like this. They
    suggested lengthening the delay in the BIOS. The BIOS on my machine
    doesn't seem to have such a setting. In any case, it fails infrequently,
    and a reboot is quick.

    I did see a long boot time problem once. It was caused by a bad CD-RW
    disk being the DVD recorder. It took a long time before giving up on the
    disk.

    Regards,
    Jim Henry

    James Henry, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Terry Bell

    hmm Guest

    I have exactly the same cold boot error problem with:

    GA-8IPE1000L Rev 2.0
    Seagate 7200.7 80 GB SATA
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
    WinXp- Sp1

    which leads me to also suspect the spin up time for the Seagate HD. The HD
    detect time delay is defaulted to zero which you can change to a greater
    value like 1 or 2 secs etc.

    Hope that helps,

    hmm, Jan 8, 2004
  5. Check [email protected]@
    Go into the BIOS and find the Boot Disk Priority or Boot disk order setting
    (Mines in the Hard disk section) it list the various possible boot devices
    ....check that the one you want to use(probebly the disk where u have drive
    C) is first on the list.
    I went though hell with this resetting itself in such a way that it wouldnt
    boot after making a tempory change with my drives.

    Allso try disconnecting all drives except your boot drive.
    luv
    newmouse

    trimble bracegirdle, Jan 11, 2004
  6. Terry Bell

    David Guest

    Just to check things out it might be worthwhile to change the bios settings so
    that on startup it is the HD that is adressed first, before the CD (or turn
    boot from CD and floppy off ) and floppy drives.

    If that fixes the problem it narrows the error to either the CDs or the floppy
    - if it persists then it is the HD or the HD setup.

    David

    David, Jan 25, 2004
  7. Terry Bell

    hmm Guest

    In my Bios I already had the DVD Rom and floppy disabled with just the HD
    enabled as the boot device.

    The cold boot disk read error went away after I installed a diff DVD Rom
    drive and a Bios upgrade to FE.

    hmm, Jan 26, 2004