GA-8IK1100 mapping SATA to IDE primary master

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Chris, Dec 12, 2003.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hello,

    Right now, I'm using an SATA hard drive as my primary one. I have
    that mapped to the IDE Primary Master channel in the bios. I have an
    IDE hard drive & DVD drive on the IDE Secondary Master & Slave
    channels.

    Can I use that IDE Primary Slave channel in any way?

    Or does remapping that SATA drive to the Primary IDE Master channel
    take up the whole IDE channel? I'd like to map a CD-R drive to that
    channel if I could.

    I tried setting it up & it didn't take. The drive wasn't recognized
    when I set the jumper to slave, installed it on the slave plug of a 2
    device IDE cable (leaving the master plug empty), & plugged it into
    the primary IDE bank.

    Are there any settings in the bios that would allow me to do that?

    I've also heard some rumblings about enabling the SATA RAID &
    installing the SATA drive as a 3rd master???

    Thanks!

    Chris

    Chris, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Chris

    Marius Guest

    just have a diskette with your SCSI drivers on it available. During
    the install, you will be prompted to hit F6 if you need to install
    SCSI device drivers... just follow the install prompts. Now i have 1
    sata hd, i ide hd & 2 cd-roms working. good luck.

    Marius, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Chris

    dmac Guest

    what I had to do was first enable raid in bios to get xp disc to recognize
    the drive. I then (w/o installing extra drivers) installed xp on it. in bios
    it is set as sata channel 0 and my eide drives are hooked as normal. I have
    had 1 sata, 2 eide, and 2 cd running this way.
    be careful in the bios, messing with the raid screws everything up after you
    are setup non raid.
    again, this might not be the correct way, but it does work for me.

    dmac, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Marius,

    With SCSI device drivers? For SATA drives? What if my OS is already
    installed? Do I need to do a reinstall? If my OS is already
    installed, is there any way to get those 2 device spots back on the
    primary IDE channel?

    If there is no way without blanking the drive & reinstalling the OS,
    I'm guessing the only way to deal with it is to get an IDE controller
    card, right?

    Thanks!

    Chris.

    Chris, Dec 17, 2003