    but use the front audio connector for a microphone?

    I'd appreciate any help,

    Gazza

    Gazza, Feb 8, 2004

  2. I have similar M/B..
    There are 3 audio connecters seperately.....mic. ..line in .....output.
    They should work independently whichever panel connecter is used.
    Luv
    Trimble

    trimble bracegirdle, Feb 8, 2004

  3. Gazza

    Gazza Guest

    Thanks Trimble. I read in the manual, or at least understood the manual to
    say, that if you want to use the front panel there are 2 jumpers on the MB
    that have to be removed and then you can't use the back panel connectors.

    Gary

    Gazza, Feb 8, 2004
  4. Gazza

    Muttley Guest

    Yes.
    The jumpers only affect the line-out signal. One each for L + R channel. The
    Mic input is not affected.
    For most standard front panel audio connectors, the Line-out signal will
    come out the front socket when something is plugged into the front line-out
    socket, and out the rear socket when the front socket is not used.

    The jumpers that come pre-installed on the board, connect the on-board sound
    chip's line-out directly to the rear line-out socket.

    When the front panel audio sockets are connected, the sound chip line out
    signal goes from the MB to the front line-out socket. There is a switching
    mechanism in the front socket that routes the signal back to the motherboard
    and then out the rear socket if the front socket doesn't have a plug in it.
    In this case, the front socket has the same effect as the jumpers on the
    motherboard did.

    When speakers/headphones are plugged into the front socket, the rear output
    is disconnected by the switching mechanism and the line-out signal only
    comes out the front socket.

    All front panel audio connectors are supposed to behave in this way,
    provided the wiring is connected correctly.

    John S.

    Muttley, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Gazza

    Gazza Guest

    That's fantastic John, thanks very much indeed. My only problem now is, as
    you say, 'provided the wiring is connected correctly.'

    The front panel on my case has 3 wires for the mic input, they are
    labelled, Mic Out (Red), Mic In (White) and Agand (Black). From what I can
    make out in the MB manual, there are 4 pins for the mic in on the
    motherboard. They are labelled in the manual as 1. MICc, 2 GND, 3 REF and 4
    POWER. Any suggestions as to what to connect to what?

    Once again, thanks for your help so far,

    Gary Q

    Gazza, Feb 8, 2004