    My computer was working normally yesterday and suddenly the video disappeared and the builtin speaker began beeping continuously at high speed. I turned it off and checked the cables, turned it on, and it immediately starts beeping continuously and does not boot or give a video signal. The fans are turning normally. Even if I unplug everything from the mobo except the power and CPU, it does the same thing. :-(

    There's nothing in the manual to say whether this continuous beeping means something (in fact theres no troubleshooting section in the manual at all). Some mobos send out a diagnostic eg. 3 beeps = no RAM, 4 beeps = no video card, etc etc. What does this mean?

    BTW are the searching broken in these forums? I search for Gigabyte & get one hit. Makes finding old posts kinda hard... :-(

    bugmenot, Nov 30, 2006
  2. bugmenot

    bugmenot

    I fixed the problem somehow, after much stuffing around. I was unclipping the fan over the CPU, and by accident, the heatsink came unstuck from the CPU. I pushed it back down firmly and jiggled it around to make sure there were no gaps, and hey presto the machine started up normally next time I tried. Must have been a CPU pin was not making good contact in the socket somehow.

    Pity I already erased the BIOS... but saved a lot of $$$ anyway

    bugmenot, Dec 1, 2006