GA-8IPE1000 won't boot, beeps continuously

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by bugmenot, Nov 30, 2006.

1. bugmenot

bugmenot

Hi all
    My computer was working normally yesterday and suddenly the video disappeared and the builtin speaker began beeping continuously at high speed. I turned it off and checked the cables, turned it on, and it immediately starts beeping continuously and does not boot or give a video signal. The fans are turning normally. Even if I unplug everything from the mobo except the power and CPU, it does the same thing. :-(

There's nothing in the manual to say whether this continuous beeping means something (in fact theres no troubleshooting section in the manual at all). Some mobos send out a diagnostic eg. 3 beeps = no RAM, 4 beeps = no video card, etc etc. What does this mean?

BTW are the searching broken in these forums? I search for Gigabyte & get one hit. Makes finding old posts kinda hard... :-(

bugmenot, Nov 30, 2006
  2. bugmenot

bugmenot

I fixed the problem somehow, after much stuffing around. I was unclipping the fan over the CPU, and by accident, the heatsink came unstuck from the CPU. I pushed it back down firmly and jiggled it around to make sure there were no gaps, and hey presto the machine started up normally next time I tried. Must have been a CPU pin was not making good contact in the socket somehow.

Pity I already erased the BIOS... but saved a lot of $$$ anyway

bugmenot, Dec 1, 2006
Ask a Question