    CNPS7000A-Cu (or the CNPS7000-AlCu vs. CNPS7000A-AlCu for that matter).

    I know, my second question is off topic, but maybe someone knows.

    Thanks.... Olaf

    Olaf, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Olaf

    Phil Hodgins Guest

    If you have the CNPS7000A-Cu installed you cannot use the DPS2. For P4 its
    does not matter as I have found everything runs fine, even with overclocking
    P4 2.8 @ 3.5.

    The copper coolers are extremely heavy and greatly exceed the suggested max
    weight from Intel. If you move the case allot you could damage the
    motherboard. Aluminium copper is much lighter and does not have this
    problem. Thermal performance seems to be very similar.

    My case never gets moved so I choose the copper unit

    The A version I believe are just revisions of the original design I think
    but somebody else might correct me on that.

    Season greetings to all

    Phil

    Phil Hodgins, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Olaf

    BDH Guest

    You must remove the DPS2 in order for the Zalman to fit. As the previous
    poster said , it does not matter ... it seems to run fine. You could elect
    to remove the fan from the DPS2 instead. I personally have not tried it, but
    it was suggested by another poster.
    This fan (7000 copper) cooled my 3.0 processor by 2-3 degrees celcius. I got
    another 2-3 degress just by turning my case fan (side) from blowing out to
    blowing in.
    This made for better air flow apparently. I went from 44C (no load) to 37C.
    BDH

    BDH, Dec 21, 2003
  4. The CNPS7000 will fit just fine if you either remove the DPS, OR if you
    simply remove the fan from the DPS.

    I have the CNPS7000-CU installed on my system (Intel 2.3Ghz w/2gig of ram),
    and I just removed the fan from the DPS. The airflow from the CNPS7000 along
    with fans at the rear of the case provide more than enough air flow for the
    DPS. The system has been running 24/7 for the last 4 months since I added
    the Zalman and removed the DPS fan with no problems at all.

    The difference between the CNPS7000-Cu and the CNPS7000A-Cu is simply the A
    version also works with the newer AMD socket 754 sockets.

    The CNPS7000-CU (or the A version) is all copper but very heavy, and the
    CNPS7000-AlCu (or the A version) is a combination of Aluminum and Copper.
    Much lighter.

    Timothy Drouillard, Dec 21, 2003
  5. Olaf

    Giga-man Guest

    I bought a few of those Zalman coolers a few months ago at Fry's for
    several 8KNXP motherboards (one 1 of which I've assembled at this
    point).

    Specifically I bought 3 coolers. Bought 2 of one type and 1 of
    another (CNPS7000-AlCu - $30) and (CNPS7000A-AlCu - $35).

    CNPS7000-AlCu ($30):
    - Intel P4 (Socket 478): Over 3.06 Ghz
    - AMD Athlon 64 (Socket 754): Over 2.0 Ghz

    CNPS7000A-AlCu ($35):
    - Intel P-4 (Socket 478): Supports all speeds
    - AMD Athlon/Duron/Athlon XP (Socket 462): Supports all speeds
    - Athlon 64 (Socket 754): supports all speeds

    I bought 1 of each type of fan because I had 2.6 Ghz P-4's and was
    spooked by the difference in these fans (one says P-4 over 3.06 ghz,
    the other says P-4 all speeds). The fans and heatsinks look exactly
    the same to me. There's either some very small difference in the fin
    profile due to a possible difference in Intel motherboard clearance
    specs in P-4's under 3ghz vs over 3 ghz or the difference is in the
    parts that come in the mounting kit. Both come with s small fan
    control module. Both have the same list of features, construction and
    noise specs, other than the $35 -A fan mentions additional
    compatibility with socket 462 (AMD athlon XP).

    I think I bought 2 of the $30 fans (non -A) and so one of them is
    fully installed on a 8KNXP. Regarding the DMP power module (or
    what-ever you call it) yea, it's fan is really close to the fins on
    the Zalman. I took the metal cover off the DPM fan to give it an
    extra mm of clearance, but I think it still touches the fins on the
    Zalman (but the actual contact area is very small to the point of
    being negligable, and the DPM module is able to stand perfectly
    verticle.

    I removed the case fan, and I put 4 diodes in series going to both the
    DPS module fan and the fan on the motherboard chip (because their
    noise was objectionable compared to the noise the Zalman makes). The
    power-supply is a "High Power" Model HPC-360-102 DF (360 watts) with
    a ball-bearing fan ("SuperRed").

    I've assembled an assortment of 40mm X 40mm fans of various thickness
    in order to identify the quietest make/model. I am bent on building
    the quietest system possible (without using water-cooling).

    Question: Can the motherboard run without the DPS module? If so,
    then what exactly does it do?

    Giga-man, Dec 22, 2003
  6. I too left the DPS2 in place and simply removed its fan. It gets plenty of
    air from the large outboard fan that comes with the Zalman. It's a great
    cooling solution and is very quiet.

    If you ever ship the computer, you should remove the Zalman beforehand. It
    is quite massive.

    rodeoislander, Dec 22, 2003
  7. Olaf

    Bob Davis Guest

    I removed the DPS2 module when I installed my Zalman CNPS7000-Cu several
    months ago and it works fine without it. At the time, I don't recall Zalman
    stipulating CPU speed, and it's installed on my P4 2.8C.

    Bob Davis, Dec 23, 2003