    controller? I received 3 booklets, one for SATA Raid Function for
    the Sil3112, one for GigaRaid Function (IDE Raid), and one for the
    P4 Titan GA8KNXP. What are we supposed to do?

    mark7dc, Oct 29, 2003

  2. mark7dc

    jpsga Guest

    Very early in the mainboard BIOS execution that BIOS goes out and
    facilitates any other BIOS's that are on the board. The graphics card the
    NIC card and what ever.
    In RAID a setup you enter Ctrl H or what ever the screen says, to set up
    the RAID BIOS.
    Once you have set up the array it is like having a new drive. You must
    FDISK. Once there is a primary partition you format the drive if that's
    where the OS is going. Other wise the OS can format it.

    All this time the mainboard BIOS is set to boot from the FDD first. You use
    a Win98 or Win ME boot disk and work from A: They should have the most
    recent FDISK.

    These setup screens are all about the same. If you are going to boot from
    RAID you have to set a drive to boot from.

    You have to setup the BIOS even it you are *not* going to set up a RAID
    array.

    JPS

    jpsga, Oct 29, 2003

  3. mark7dc

    Michael Len Guest

    mark: Gigabyte refers to Intel for the RAID set up. Which is just as
    well since they write in babelfish english. So look up the 82801ER
    controller at Intel.com, there's a good pdf manual "Intel Application
    Accelerator RAID Edition". Sorry I don't have the url. Make sure you
    have the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility.
    Hope this gets you started in the right direction.

    Michael Len, Oct 29, 2003
  4. mark7dc

    mark7dc Guest

    mark7dc, Oct 29, 2003
  5. mark7dc

    DJ Guest

    I've seen a few people mentioning the Intel SATA RAID for this board.
    Is there a concensus on which is better to use, Intel or the SIL3112?

    Thanks.

    DJ, Oct 30, 2003
  6. mark7dc

    mark7dc Guest

    My guess would be that most prefer the Intel chipset for RAID, but at least
    one guru (Timonthy) is using both with no problems. I just set up a friends
    computer with two Seagate 80G SATA HDD on the Intel RAID chipset
    and all went quite well. I just installed one SATA HDD on my own PC on
    the Intel chipset and copied my IDE drive over to it with Drive Image, and I'm
    running on that one drive at the present time. I just wanted to see if I could do
    it...I can setup he second drive and convert to RAID whenever I want to. If you
    go with Intel, be sure to visit their site and get the instructions and downloads
    for the 82801ER chipset. If you go with SIL 3112, at least you'll have a booklet
    from Gigabyte to guide you. Good luck.

    mark7dc, Oct 30, 2003