GA-8KNXP (Rev. 2)-Based Computer: Multiple Beeps on >Cold< Start

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by sgoldstn, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. sgoldstn

    sgoldstn Guest

    I have had a computer built around this board almost two years with no
    real issues.
    Since it has gotten cold (~58°C at night in the house) this winter, I
    have had multiple incidents where the computer will not even go through
    the BIOS level start up. As soon as I turn on the machine, I get a
    series of multiple beeps, then a brief silence, then multiple beeps,
    silence, and then continuous beeps. The computer then does not boot.
    When the air temperature is again above ~62°C, the computer will boot
    and run just fine.

    Is this expected behavior or is something going wrong (other than
    letting the indoor temperature fall so far).
    Thanks for your input.

    Steve

    Richard Dower, Jan 24, 2005

  3. sgoldstn

    Kris Vorwerk Guest

    Is this expected behavior or is something going wrong (other than

    Weird.

    1) As someone else mentioned, check the manual (for the meaning of the
    beeps).

    2) Once your machine is "warm enough" to boot, I'd recommend running
    memtest86 ...

    Kris

    Kris Vorwerk, Jan 24, 2005
  4. sgoldstn

    sgoldstn Guest

    Richard, thanks for the response.

    The beeping is not like any that I have heard or seen described in
    either the manual or in other sources.
    It is a series of very short sounds, too numerous to count, each burst
    lasting 5 or so seconds.

    You're right - - very wierd.

    sgoldstn, Jan 24, 2005
  5. sgoldstn

    Bob Davis Guest

    I have a Rev. 1 of this same board, and on one occasion this Fall when I
    left the windows open one cool, humid night the POST failed the next
    morning--except in my case I had no beeps and the PSU clicked as if trying
    to reset. The temp never dropped below 68°F in the room, but the humidity
    that morning was >95%, and that exceeds the spec on the PSU.

    After I warmed everything up with a hair drier it booted fine and has ever
    since, regardless of temperature, but I no longer open the windows to the
    office overnight. This may not be your issue, and if your house is heated
    the humidity is probably much lower than the maximum spec for the mobo or
    PSU, unless you're opening the windows.

    OTOH, you may have some component that is contracting in the cold enough to
    cause a poor connection. If that is the case, I doubt if it is something
    you could troubleshoot. You might try reseating the CPU, memory, and cards
    just for the heck of it, but I doubt if that will change anything.

    Bob Davis, Jan 24, 2005
  6. sgoldstn

    Bob Davis Guest

    I just posted on this thread just moments ago, but the more I think of it
    the more I'd recommend reseating everything, including PCI and AGP cards,
    memory, and if that doesn't help maybe even the CPU.

    Bob Davis, Jan 24, 2005
  7. sgoldstn

    sgoldstn Guest

    Thanks to all for the responses.

    Perhaps the best sense is that with some change in temperature, a
    poorly contacting component is no longer seated adequately. I may have
    done a test of the principle already. I have another computer in the
    same room (ASUS P4PE motherboard) that would not boot the day before.
    This machine went through POST but did not find my hard drive (primary
    IDE/master) to start the OS. I opened the case and repositioned
    eveything I could and, voila, the HD was autotyped by the BIOS and
    everything booted just fine. Will try the same gambit on the Gigabyte
    machine tonight.

    sgoldstn, Jan 24, 2005
  8. sgoldstn

    Steve Guest

    Dust - Dust - Dust

    Opened this floor standing tower case, and everything was coated.
    Took a brush and a vacuum to it, reseated the boards and all connectors.
    -- The moment of truth was brief as the machine started right up.

    Thanks to all for the suggestions.

    Steve, Jan 25, 2005
  9. Wow!...now i never knew dust would cause this....but, NEVER EVER use a
    vacuum cleaner!!!!!!!!!!

    Dear god, vacuum cleaners create massive amounts of static that can fry all
    your components. In future get a can of compressed air and blow off all the
    dust.

    Richard Dower, Jan 25, 2005
  10. sgoldstn

    Bob Davis Guest

    No doubt. I use a compressor with a vacuum cleaner sucking the dust it
    releases, never touching any hardware.

    Bob Davis, Jan 25, 2005
  11. sgoldstn

    John Eckart Guest

    On the contrary, I've heard from one source (The Screen Savers) that you're /supposed/ to use a vacuum, although, I use caned air myself. I've also heard that compressed air can do more harm than good because compressed air can cram dust into places where it normally cannot get on its own, and you certainly don't want to use too much air, like a compressor, which can also damage system fans. Again, so I've heard.

    Personally, I think the best way to do it is the way you're doing it, a canned air / vacuum combination.

    John Eckart, Jan 25, 2005
  12. sgoldstn

    Bob Davis Guest

    I can see your point, but I set the regulator down to about 40 psi, then
    hold the nozzle at least a foot away. At no time will I apply heavy air
    pressure to any component, but rather only want to create enough breeze to
    float the dust away. I've been doing this once very two months for about
    ten years on a number of computers, it works well, and I've never had a
    problem.

    As for the vacuum, it stays away from the hardware and is only used to suck
    in some of the dust as it is airborne. I think it would be inadequate by
    itself to eliminate dust since it can't move into the nooks and crannies,
    like between HD's and other components. I would only be afraid of static if
    the brush attachment was used and if contact was made, as plastic
    attachments like the crevice tool shouldn't cause any trouble. There should
    be no more static generated this way than with compressed air.

    Bob Davis, Jan 25, 2005
  13. sgoldstn

    sgoldstn Guest

    I should have been clearer. I did use a fine brush to loosen the dirt
    while holding the vacuum's nozzle above the computer parts.
    But point well taken for future cleaning. I'll blow off the dust in
    the future.

    Steve

    sgoldstn, Jan 25, 2005
  14. sgoldstn

    Mercury Guest

    I just use a horse hair paint brush 1" wide.
    I always brush the chassis metal first.
    I have never come across a horse with static problems, have you?
    If I knew where to get one, I would use a copper wire "paint" brush. I
    believe they are made for the job.

    Cars get static from air + paint work.

    Mercury, Jan 26, 2005
  15. sgoldstn

    jensen Guest

    The correct solution is to use a special antistatic vacuum cleaner,
    such as 3M's. They are sold through electronic tool catalogs such as
    Jensen Tools (no relation). They are expensive but worth it. They also
    have superfine filters that even vacuum laser printer toner.

    jensen, Jan 26, 2005
  16. sgoldstn

    sgoldstn Guest

    The group's discussion of proper cleaning technique has been helpful,
    but can anyone explain why dust can cause electrical problems with the
    system's components. As well, either by their nature or design are
    there particular components in a typical computer that are more
    vulnerable to dust related electrical problems?

    sgoldstn, Jan 26, 2005
  17. sgoldstn

    Andy Lee Guest

    Well this is quite variable to say the least. We had an old 486
    machine on the factory floor where thermoset plastics were molded
    (lots of dust) When I removed the cover to check the machine out (note
    it was working fine) I found a layer of dust some 50mm think covering
    everything inside I left well alone and as far as I know the machine
    is still working some 2 years later.

    Maybe old machines are just more tolerant.

    Andy Lee, Jan 26, 2005
  18. sgoldstn

    Barabas Guest

    Dust can kill all hardware, why do engineers wair dust protection when they
    are building a sattelite for example, same reason? Dust partikels are that
    large that they can contain Iron (Fe) molecules. One dust partikel isn't
    probably going to hurt your hardware but once the dust deposites get bigger
    and bigger they will be able to make contact at some point, resulting in
    short cuts.

    This is why you should clean all hardware!!

    Each year thousands of people get killed because there TV screen implodes,
    same reason, hardware never gets cleaned and becomes a deadly bomb waiting
    to go off at some time.

    Greetz

    Barabas

    Barabas, Jan 27, 2005
  19. sgoldstn

    GARYPET Guest

    I HAVE TWO OF THESE MOTHERBOARDS FOR OVER A YEAR AND THEY BOTH MAKE
    THE SAME BEEPS YOU MENTION. I HAVE HAVE NOT HAD ANY PROBLEM WITH
    THEM.

    GARYPET, Jan 28, 2005
  20. sgoldstn

    Steve Guest

    Maybe not the same beeps. When my computer got going (before I cleaned
    it out), it would just start the stacatto beeping and would never boot.

    Steve, Jan 29, 2005