GA-8KNXP & WinXP with 2 disks in RAID1 and 2 disks in RAID0.

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Diane TAY, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. Diane TAY

    Diane TAY Guest

    Hello All,

    I am planning to buy a GA-8KNXP with the following specs:
    - P4 2.8MHz cpu (800MHz FSB)
    - 1.5 GB DDR400 RAM
    - 4 x Maxtor DiamondMaxPlus9 120GB Disks (8MB cache), SATA, 7200rpm.
    - Nividia GEFORCE FX5600 256MB w/video.
    - 500W Power Supply
    - 17" LG LCD monitor
    - Win XP O/S

    I would like to setp up the Disk drives to be:
    - Boot/System Drive with 1 partition for WinXP & applications (drive C):
    2 x Maxtor (120GB) SATA in RAID1 (mirrored) connected via the 2 on-board
    Silicon Image Sil3112 ports (SATA0_SII & SATA1_SII).

    - Video editing drive with 2 partitions (drives D & E):
    - 2 x Maxtor (120GB) SATA in RAID0 (striping) connected via the 2 on-board
    ICHR5 ports (SATA0_SB & SATA1_SB).

    Questions
    -----------
    1) Does any one have any experience with implementing both RAID0 and RAID1
    using the on-board chips/ports? Any lessons there?

    2) Any comments on whether you think my disks config can be implemented on
    the on-board ports? And if so is performance slow using the on-board chips
    rather than a separate PCI controller?

    3) If you recommend separate RADI0 and RAID1 PCI controller, what brands &
    models do you suggest?

    4) Any comments on the partitioning choice I made (which is really biased
    towards flexibility)?

    Thanks kindly
    Danny Tay

    Diane TAY, Sep 21, 2003

  2. I'm currently running a GA-8KNXP myself
    P4 3.2Ghz
    2gig DDR400 Dual-Channel mode
    FX 5900 Ultra
    Antech True-Power 430
    Win XP Pro

    for HD's, I have two WD Raptors in a RAID 0 on the SI SATA RAID controller
    for the OS.

    I also have two Seagate 160gig SATA drives in another RAID 0 on the Intel
    ICH5 RAID controller for Data files.

    works great for me.

    Performance is very quick on both RAID's

    Timothy Drouillard, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Diane TAY

    jpsga Guest

    ->lots of lessions to be learned. Don't get in a hurry and have a boot disk
    with fdisk and format and a boot sequence. Should be comfortable in DOS.
    ->Experience shows the speed is just about the same between the on-board and
    PCI controller board. With the on-board approach the system BIOS dictates
    the driver used. With the PCI controler BIOS/DRIVER up dates are easier. Win
    XP hates all drivers but there own.
    ->I use High Point Tech for both Serial RAID and Parrellel RAID.
    towards flexibility)?

    -> why did you not go for RIAD 0+1? Two partitions.

    jpsga, Sep 22, 2003
  4. Diane TAY

    Diane TAY Guest

    Hello JPSGA,

    To answer your question specifically about why I am not thinking of adopting
    RAID 0+1 for all 4 disks. Reason is I want to separate the video-editing
    application drives D&E apart from O/S application drive C - for reasons of
    performance since Video-editing is very disk-intensive.

    If I use RAID0+1 for all disks then the data for videos is also spread right
    across every drive rather than isolated in Drive D&E. I did not want to
    spend extra money buying a PCI RAID1 card to mirror the video drives, so I
    decided to just use on-board RAID0 to get the speed doubled instead. In the
    end, video data will be put back into MiniDV tape format after editing for
    storage becos this is the most economical format. The disks is really only
    for editing so mirrored protection is not required. At least for now that's
    the theory.

    Danny

    Diane TAY, Sep 22, 2003
  5. I am running a Pentium 4 3.2 with 1GM memory and 2 Segate 120GB Baracuda drive
    connected to SATA0&1 and created a RAID0 set on these that show as the 240GB I
    would expect.

    I have tried to install Windows XP Pro on this but cant get it to work. When I
    reboot it askes me for my floppy with the Intel driver which I give it. It then
    copied the drivers and stuff it needed and then asked me where I wanted to
    install windows and showed me a 240GB partition. Everything looks to be working
    so far.

    So I create a 20GB partition on this drive and tell it to format as NTFS and
    then it goes away and does it's work. Copies the driver off the floppy and all
    the rest of the files off the CDRom. Still working perfectly.

    Now it comes to the reboot to actually start windows and when it comes up to the
    boot up it says disk error, ctrl-at-del to restart.

    Nothing will get it to work from here. Only way out is to delete the RAID set
    and try try again.

    I need urgent help.

    John Veldthuis, Sep 24, 2003
  6. Diane TAY

    Russell Guest

    If you're wanting a RAID config on the onboard ICH5-R Intel Southbridge,
    you've almost got it, but you have to fiddle around with the motherboard's
    BIOS settings as well in order to tell the system to boot from the RAID
    drives. Include "SCSI" in the boot order, then make sure that the Intel
    Southbridge is included in the SCSI boot order, RAID enabled. This should
    also enable the Intel ICH5-R separate BIOS post after the mobo BIOS post,
    which you can enter to configure arrays when told to press Ctrl+I during the
    Intel ICH5-R post screen. The motherboard's BIOS settings options on this
    board are, indeed, confusing with any help written in "broken" English. I
    hope this helps.

    Russell
    http://tastycomputers.com

    Russell, Sep 24, 2003
  7. On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:27:33 GMT, "Russell"

    Yep I have all that. SCSI set as 1st boot device then CDRom then HD0
    The ICH5-R BIOS post does come up and shows the 2 drives mapped to one RAID0
    set. But it still comes up and says disk read error, ctrl-alt-del to reboot just
    when it should be firing up.

    I would suspect a faulty drive but then why did it seem to copy the files from
    Windows okay to start with?

    John Veldthuis, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Even stranger. I just tried putting Windows on one of the drives by itself by
    using the remapping of the SATA to IDE and again everything appeared fine.
    Windows started to boot up with the normals windows screen for a few seconds
    then stopped with a 7B error. I used the recovery console and had a look on the
    drive and all the files are on the drive okay so I dont think it is a drive
    error. I am getting frustrated now.

    John Veldthuis, Sep 24, 2003
  9. Diane TAY

    Logan VT Guest

    I do video work as well.......the best scenario is to run a RAID0 on SATA
    and another RAID0 on SCSI and then process back and forth to each other when
    rendering. I use a pair of 80gig Seagate Baracuda SATA drives (Seagate uses
    a true, hence faster, SATA interface on their drives) and a pair of Seagate
    36 gig SCSI drives of the SCSI raid.This works well. Later I implemented the
    ITE raid and added a pair of WD 160 gig drives for video storage. All hell
    broke loose. I ended up having to reflash the BIOs and even then it is a
    crap-shoot as to whether the Adaptec screen comes up in the BIOS. Finally,
    and I have no idea how, but I got all three to work together. I applaud
    Gigabyte for including these raids on their motherboard, especially the U320
    SCSI raid. However, SiSoft Sandra gives performance values of about 66%
    where they should be were I running a PCI-x 29320 Adaptec RAID board. Still,
    transfer times going from SATA RAID to SCSI RAID are about half of the time
    taken to go from SATA RAID to IDE RAID.

    If I find an Athlon 64 mobo with PCI-X slots, I am going for it.

    Logan

    Logan VT, Sep 25, 2003
  10. Diane TAY

    Michael Len Guest

    John, have you checked the Intel installation instructions? ie. Intel
    chipset software installation utility, confirm version of Intel RAID
    option ROM installed and "after OS installed you still need to install
    the Intel Application Accelerator RAID Edition by running the typical
    Setup.exe process".

    Michael Len, Sep 26, 2003
  11. I could not even find any Intel install instructions. Just the GigaRaid and SiL
    Raid ones. And I cant even get the OS installed to be able to install the
    Application Accelerator.

    The data is certainly on the drive as using Drive Image I can see all the
    windows files fine. Just comes up with that stupid Disk Read error, ctrl+alt+del
    to reboot.

    I have sent the motherboard back now to see if that is the problem.

    John Veldthuis, Sep 27, 2003
  12. Diane TAY

    Thunder9 Guest

    I'm building my first system, and thinking about using the GA-8KNXP.
    I'll be using a P4 2.4 and 2 X 512 MB DDR400. Some of the posts I'm
    reading have me concerned, so is there any tips you can give me to
    make this as painless as possible?

    #1. What should I get for RAM? Lets say about $100 per 512 MB stick.

    #2. To optimize this for multimedia, what do you think about putting
    the OS on PATA and putting the high capacity drives on SATA Raid 0? I
    recall something about two buses... the PCI (for PATA and all
    peripherical cards) and the onboard SATA. Is that right? If I use
    the on board SATA, do I have to disable something else?

    #3. How many optical drives can I use? Are optical drives simply IDE?

    #4. Any other issues to be concerned about (ie incompatibilities to
    watch for... video, etc.)

    #5 This board seems to have a lot of features, but also a lot of
    problems. Maybe its not worth it? Maybe I should go for a more
    simple (ie less trouble prone) board?

    Thanks,
    Thunder9

    Thunder9, Oct 3, 2003
  13. I'm tickled to death with my GA-8KNXP

    As far as memory, some people report having problems, some don't.

    I bought my MB, CPU (3.2Ghz) and 2gig of DDR400 ram all from a local
    computer shop.
    The shop actually installed the ram and the CPU and bench-checked it for me
    right in front of me (they offered to, I didn't ask) to make sure everything
    worked,

    They get too many returns from novices that don't install things correctly
    such as the heat sink, then return damaged parts.

    Anyway.... the ram they installed is nothing special, it's not even a big
    name brand. but they did choose all four 512meg sticks from the same lot.

    The system has been running for the last several months, 24/7 with no
    problems at all.

    Timothy Drouillard, Oct 3, 2003
  14. Diane TAY

    Russell Guest

    WE build custom systems with the GA-8KNXP motherboard (our Bistro875MAX) and
    the motherboard is now solid with updated BIOS. If you make your own, the
    first thing would be to have the latest F6 BIOS, or the FB BIOS if you get
    the revision 2 board, on a floppy and update the main BIOS. The earlier
    memory issues related to boards with the 875P chipset have been resolved
    with the revised BIOS, but we still up the voltage by +2 (from the default
    2.5 to 2.7) for maximum stability. We use Mushkin PC3200 Black memory with
    no experiences with any bad DIMMs. We always test the memory for 12-14
    hours running MemTest86 and have always seen zero errors with this memory.
    Since you're considering the 2.4C Pentium 4, you have a little more headroom
    to overclock, and could use the PC3500 level 2 DIMMs, if you'd like.

    There onboard support for 4 SATA drives, as well as for 8 IDE/ATAPI drives.
    You can hook up a maximum of 4 optical drives to IDE 1 and 2 (or,
    optionally, external drives using Firewire or USB.) IDE 3 and 4 should only
    be used for ATA hard drives in either a base or RAID configuration. You
    don't have to disable anything to use all available drive options, but do
    need to take your time when providing BIOS settings to take advantage of
    everything. The one pitfall with any Gigabyte motherboard is the "broken
    English" used in all of the documentation, but if you're not in too big a
    hurry, and have some common sense, you can decipher their written advice
    easily. Any drives connected to the onboard Intel ICH5-R SATA, the Silicon
    Image SATA, or the ITE GigaRAID ATA need controller drivers to be added
    separately, and if a OS boot drive will be on one of these controllers,
    you'll need the drivers on floppy for use during the OS installation (using
    the F6 prompt to specify additional drivers to slipstream into the
    installation.) You will get better performance if you configure the BIOS
    settings for any SATA drives to use native SATA mode instead of IDE
    remapping, in order to bypass the PCI bus.

    If you install a Pentium 4 that uses the 800MHz front side bus (which the
    2.4C does) you'll need to change the default BIOS setting of 133MHz to
    200MHz yourself. Many of the advanced BIOS options aren't available unless
    you press the CTRL+F1 keys simultaneously after you're at the main BIOS
    screen. You may not even notice that the menu has changed, but when you
    access the submenus, you'll have additional options in order to modify the
    memory voltage and the CPU speed.

    I hope this helps you out. I do highly recommend this board.

    Sincerely,
    Russell
    http://tastycomputers.com

    Russell, Oct 3, 2003
  15. Diane TAY

    Thunder9 Guest

    Thank you so much. This post will definitely be saved as a reference!

    Is the revision 2 board better? I think I have a connection that
    could get me this board if its worth it...

    Thunder9, Oct 3, 2003
  16. Diane TAY

    Russell Guest

    We have yet to receive any of the rev2 boards from any of our distributors.
    Gigabyte won't give any information. From what I understand, the rev2 board
    has an updated onboard Realtek sound chip and they moved the location of the
    case or PSU fan pinout. Anyone else have any add'l info?

    Russell
    http://tastycomputers.com

    Russell, Oct 4, 2003
  17. GB's autumn (Prescott?) i875p refresh:

    GA-8KNXP (Rev 2.0):
    <http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8KNXP (Rev 2.0).htm>

    GA-8KNXP Ultra (Rev 2.0):
    <http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8KNXP Ultra (Rev 2.0).htm>