GA-8KNXP won't format 160Gig IDE drive

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by jsc, Jul 14, 2004.

  1. jsc

    jsc Guest

    Hi folks,

    Having trouble with a GA-8KNXP rev 2 motherboard and some seagate ST316002
    160Gig ide ata drives. Using windows 2000 service pack 4, these drives are
    connected to the onboard ICH5 IDE controller. When I try to prep the drives
    up, they only show 128gig available.

    If I connect the drives to the ITE controller though, they show up as having
    145 Gig available.

    Is there any fix to enable the drives to be formatted to 145G under the ICH5
    controller?

    TIA

    Regards,

    JSC.

    Please respond via newsgroup.

    jsc, Jul 14, 2004

  2. jsc

    Rick Guest

    Hi,

    I have the same drive, only I'm using XP Pro. I had to run the Seagate disk prep application, then I went into XP's disk management. This will show the rest of the drive space and allow you to partition accordingly. I do not know if 2000 has such an app but I would assume so. (taking the risks of assuming....)

    Rick

    Rick, Jul 14, 2004

  3. jsc

    Kris Vorwerk Guest

    Having trouble with a GA-8KNXP rev 2 motherboard and some seagate ST316002

    Are they auto-detected correctly in the BIOS? (i.e., do the
    auto-detected C/H/S in your CMOS settings match the specs supplied on
    the labels of the drives?)

    Kris

    Kris Vorwerk, Jul 14, 2004
  4. jsc

    jsc Guest

    Updated the bios to the latest version on the gigabyte site, and the drives
    are showing up correctly in the bios...

    jsc, Jul 14, 2004
  5. Timothy Drouillard, Jul 15, 2004
  6. jsc

    jsc Guest

    Thanks for the help folks - using the seagate discwizard, this applied the
    registry patch which allowed me to prep the drives on the ICH5 channel to
    their full capacity.

    jsc, Jul 17, 2004