GA-965P-DQ6 Memory recommendation

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Lance Boyle, Sep 17, 2006.

  1. Lance Boyle

    Lance Boyle Guest

    I'm planning to build a new system with the GA-965P-DQ6. I've read
    about some memory compatibility issues with pre-F4 Bios revisions. I'm
    worried about getting a board with an older bios and not being able to
    upgrade the bios since I don't have any other memory laying around to
    play around with.

    I'm looking for 2x1GB of ram. I've heard that TWIN2X2048-6400C4PRO
    works with F2 or F3 but it's a little pricey for me. I've looked at
    the Mushkin site but their Gigabyte section seems to be down. I'm
    looking for the best deal for $200-250 or so that will work with the
    earlier bios versions that I'm likely to get from newegg or whatever.

    Gigabyte's website has a long list of compatible ram, but there are
    only a few I could actually find anywhere.

    BTW, I'm not building a gaming system. I'm looking at the E6300 and
    three WD 160GB SATA HD's w/Raid 5.

    Anyone have some personal experience or comments on this?

    Lance Boyle, Sep 17, 2006

  2. I just built a system with the GA-965P-DS3, and you can find my comments
    over the past 3 weeks in this newsgroup. The system is working great, I
    used Mushkin TWIN2X1024-6400, but not the Pro, it worked fine with the
    F4 bios, which my board came with (and that was a couple weeks ago).

    I would go with the E6600, it's obviously more expensive but it has the
    4MB cache system, while the lower models are only 2MB.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 17, 2006

  3. Lance Boyle

    Dave Doe Guest

    I have recently setup a similar system (DS4).

    I put 3 x 320Gb drives in it - 2 RAID0, and one standard to put images
    on from the RAID array.

    I used the Intel RAID controller, not the Gigabyte - and wonder if that
    is the best way to do it. (I never tried the Gigabyte option). I note
    the RAID array is about twice as fast reading and writing than the other
    standalone disk - and am quite happy with that.

    I found little supporting documentation in the manaul or the website to
    help in determine the best configuration (Gigabyte or Intel raid
    chipset).

    And comments? - much appreciated.

    Dave Doe, Sep 18, 2006
  4. The Gigabyte controller supports AHCI and NCQ, and is at least
    potentially capable of higher performance than the Intel chip, which
    supports neither.

    [Actually I have to qualify that, it is correct for my DS3 but not
    necessarily for your DS4 ... a bit of research should answer that. The
    Gigabyte chip is actually the JMicron chip.]

    Barry Watzman, Sep 18, 2006
  5. Lance Boyle

    Dave Doe Guest

    Thanks Barry. If you have overclocked the board, how have you gone
    about that (what bits do you change in the BIOS).

    I tried overclocking it a few times via the s/w on the CD - I just used
    the auto setting, the board would lock up and reboot. Never got further
    than that.

    Dave Doe, Sep 18, 2006
  6. I'm running stock, so I can't comment on overclocking. Someday I may
    try that, but no need to at this time.

    Barry Watzman, Sep 18, 2006