    pair, all runs well!

    Any advice if I can use those memory modules altogether on my board or
    perhaps it isn't possible at all.

    Michael Fritz, Nov 9, 2009

  2. Michael Fritz

    Joe Guest

    You should not be using different memory modules. Thats just asking for
    trouble and you got it. Best thing is to pick a pair and buy another
    pair just like it.

    Joe, Nov 9, 2009

  3. This is one possibility. Note POSSIBILITY. And only that.

    You may have modules paired wrong, so that you have one module of each
    type on the same channel (instead of having each channel comprised of a
    pair of identical modules). Verify the configuration with the manual,
    or TRY swapping two modules of different types.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 10, 2009
  4. Am Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:22:17 -0500 schrieb Barry Watzman:
    I've now swapped the modules. Now the pairs do not match in types but it
    seems to work better and without any problems so far.

    Thanks for this tip!

    Michael Fritz, Nov 11, 2009
  5. I think your statement ("Now the pairs do not match in types") is
    probably wrong, based on "but it seems to work better and without any
    problems". I think that now the pairs DO match; I suspect that you
    mis-understand how the sockets are color coded.

    The problem is, there are two ways to color code the sockets.

    When you have dual channel memory (channel A and channel B), you want to
    put one module of a pair in EACH channel; you do NOT want to put both
    modules of the pair in the SAME channel.

    E.G., as an example, say you have two channels (channel A & B). Each
    channel has two sockets, socket 1 and socket 2. And the motherboard
    mfgr. has color coded the sockets (2 are yellow and two are orange).
    You have 4 memory modules, two modules of 512MB and two modules of
    256MB. What you want is:

    A1 - 512MB
    B1 - 512MB
    A2 - 256MB
    B2 - 256MB

    [yes, it would also work if you reversed the 256 & 512 modules]

    The confusion comes in because some motherboard mfgrs. color code the
    sockets so that all of the channel A sockets are one color and all of
    the channel B sockets are the other color. So, in this case, sockets A1
    and A2 would be one color, sockets B1 and B2 would be the other color.

    But that means that the identical modules go in DIFFERENT color sockets.
    Which confuses a lot of people.

    Recognizing this, other motherboard mfgrs. color code the sockets so
    that sockets getting the memory pairs are the same color. In which
    case, sockets A1 and B1 would be one color (even though they are
    DIFFERENT channels), and sockets A2 and B2 would be the other color.

    This is very, very confusing. Because the sockets can be color coded in
    either of two ways, and because different motherboards do in fact color
    code them both ways, the color coding of the sockets becomes,
    essentially, useless. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR READING THE MANUAL AND
    UNDERSTANDING WHAT IS GOING ON. You simply cannot rely on the color
    coding of the sockets unless you are absolutely certain that you
    understand what the motherboard manufacturer did.

    [And, in fact, very few users understand how this is supposed to work;
    many users think that if they have a pair of modules, both modules of
    the identical pair go in the same channel. WRONG !! One module of the
    pair goes in one channel, and the other module of the pair goes in the
    OTHER channel (not the same channel).]

    Barry Watzman, Nov 11, 2009
  6. Am Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:56:29 -0500 schrieb Barry Watzman:
    That's it - and to be honest I didn't know this before you clarified
    things.

    Thanks Barry for your time and explanation - highly appreciated!

    Michael Fritz, Nov 13, 2009