    GA EP45-DS3P? There is nothing in the manual/

    regards,

    Beemer

    Beemer, Nov 5, 2008

  2. Beemer

    peter Guest

    here is a detailed procedure
    1..make a fist
    2..stick out index finger
    3...slowly move finger to button till contact is made
    4....push button and hold for 5 seconds
    5... withdraw finger
    BIOS will now be reset to factory settings...and all customized settings
    will be gone.

    peter

    peter, Nov 5, 2008

  3. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    So do I take it that you have no preference as to whether power is first
    removed?

    Beemer

    Beemer, Nov 5, 2008
  4. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    .....and top posted by me as a courtesy to the person who replied to my
    original post.

    .....and I asked the question because pressing the button power -on or
    power-off is not resetting my bios.

    Beemer, Nov 6, 2008
  5. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    .....and top posted by me as a courtesy to the person who replied to my
    original post. I note that you also top posted in an earlier post where you
    sought overclocking help for your windows home OS

    I asked the question because pressing the button power-on or power-off is
    not resetting my bios.

    Molehill engineer or not, I am not so juvénile as to jump to a thread to
    make a disparaging remark. I suggest you go back to playing your computer
    games.

    Beemer

    Beemer, Nov 6, 2008
  7. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    Peter,

    My last duplicated posts which showed the problems with my cmos reset button
    finger 8:) were mistakenly replies to you which should have been addressed
    to Bill. Sorry for that.

    regards,

    Beemer

    Beemer, Nov 6, 2008
  8. Beemer

    peter Guest

    CMOS is reset with power off....
    peter

    peter, Nov 6, 2008
  9. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    Peter,

    Yes this would have been my procedure but I found it strange that GigaByte
    decided to make this an illuminated button when the power is on. Also
    strange that they only mention the standard shorted pin method in the
    EP45-DS3P manual.

    As it does not appear to be clearing the CMOS power on or off I decided just
    to remove the battery for a few minutes.

    thanks,

    Beemer

    Beemer, Nov 7, 2008
  10. Beemer

    Onsokumaru Guest

    Since when has holding down the power button for 5 seconds cleared the CMOS?

    You use that method with the power button to turn off/reset a locked
    machine, but never heard of it doing anything else.

    It could have changed, but would be the first I've heard of it.

    P.S. I haven't done that in a while, so can't remember if it shuts down or
    resets pc.

    <snip>

    Onsokumaru, Nov 8, 2008
  11. Beemer

    RobV Guest

    I believe that with ACPI (at least with my system which is a ACPI
    computer), in the power options properties page which you access through
    Display Properties>Power>Advanced tabs, there is a selection at the
    bottom for Power Buttons, which has a selection of actions "When I press
    the power button on my computer:"

    These are: Shut down; Do nothing; Ask me what to do; Standby; Hibernate.
    I have mine set to Shut down and the button has to held in for 5 seconds
    for the shut down to occur. The other selections are self explanitory,
    but I don't know if you have to hold the botton in for 5 seconds as
    well, or if they occur immediately, as I've never used them.

    RobV, Nov 8, 2008
  12. Beemer

    Onsokumaru Guest

    Yes, except there is no need to hold the button down for 5 seconds. You just
    press it as you do to turn it on and Windows initiates the shutdown, as if
    you went through the start menu and selecetd shutdown.

    There is the Soft-Off power button setting in the BIOS also. Power button
    is set for instant off or not, otherwise you need to hold the power button
    for 5 seconds, regardless of OS etc.

    It would be a pretty poor design choice to make this feature clear the CMOS.
    (IMHO naturally)
    <snip>

    Onsokumaru, Nov 9, 2008
  13. Beemer

    RobV Guest

    You are correct...forgot about that. I always have shut down through
    the software and only use the power button when the system is locked up,
    in which case, the 5 seconds applies (for all the systems I've ever
    had).

    To the OP: Never heard of a power button clearing CMOS, no matter what.
    It makes no sense. Just because two things happen at, or near the same
    time, doesn't mean that one caused the other.

    RobV, Nov 9, 2008
  14. Beemer

    Beemer Guest

    Onsokumaru,

    If you read from my original post onward you will not find anyone who
    mentions pressing the power button to reset cmos. On this motherboard
    there is a special illuminated button on the motherboard to reset the cmos.
    My question was should I remove power (shutdown the computer) before using
    this special button and not that the power-off button shgold be used to
    reset the cmos.

    regards,

    Beemer

    Beemer, Nov 9, 2008
  15. Beemer

    Onsokumaru Guest

    I didn't read the original post, I came in around discussion of molehills.

    I guess it is a case of using the term "power button".
    Is there an FAQ at the Gigabyte website, or maybe an email.

    Cheers.

    <snip>

    Onsokumaru, Nov 14, 2008