GA-K8NS Pro USB Fried Tech Assistance

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by surfsand, Oct 28, 2007.

  1. surfsand

    surfsand

    Mother Board: Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro
    Rev: 1.0
    Socket: 754
    SN: (01)04719331816094(21)SN0439030321
    Bios: F13
    VGA Brand: ATI 9800 Pro
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
    Case: Antec P160

    I was teaching my nephew to build a system and while mounting the board to the case he somehow missed a riser nut on the mounting hole on bottom left corner of M/B (@ F_usb1 usb2). He screwed the board directly to the case which caused the board to flex and the Front USB Ports must have been grounded out. MY BAD FOR NOT CHECKING HIS WORK. It worked fine for a month with no problems until a “FIRE WIRE” (not usb) cable was plugged in to front panels Fire wire port and another computer. I didn’t think was hooked up. (no cable available in case so not connected to F1 1394 on M/B)
    The system shut down and wont start up at all. Power supply comes on without system power button being pressed, which all system fans come and nothing else happens.
    The USB mouse and keyboard don’t work anymore (must have gotten fried). They won’t work on my other systems at all either.
    The mounting base of the case is removable, and I looked down the line between M/B and Base while mounted, and it doesn’t look like anything on the motherboard is contacting the metal case. (I thought the USB + solder connections where contacting the base shorting the system) Looks like the fire wire port on my case somehow ran through the USB wires and shorted out the whole system. The Antec P160 was suppose to have separate wires connecting the front IEEE 1394 port to the motherboard from the directions, but none existed in the case.
    My question is , is there a component or fuse on the mother board I can replace. As well as the mouse and keyboard, is there something I can replace to get them working as well.

    I have some experience reworking electronics and feel I can repare them myself with the right directions and Diagram or Board Schematics.

    Thanks for your help
    Surfsand

    Images:
    [​IMG]