    controller driver, but I bought this mobo as a refurb and have no driver
    CD. Can someone email the files to me?

    -Rick

    Rick M., May 7, 2005

  2. Rick M.

    Udo Kammer Guest

  3. Rick M.

    Rick M. Guest

    Thanks, but that page has only a link for the Silicon Image SATA driver.
    What I need (or think I need) is a driver for *NVidia* mass storage
    controller that I can use on a *floppy* during an XP setup/install. I
    don't have a driver CD, and hence no 'bootdrv' folder or menu.exe
    utility to create an 'F6' driver floppy disk.

    -Rick

    Rick M., May 7, 2005
  4. Rick M.

    MrGrumpy Guest

    You extract the file then create the floppy, leastways thats what I did last
    time I downloaded a SIL driver

    MrGrumpy, May 7, 2005
  5. Rick M.

    Rick M. Guest

    Aaaargh!

    What do you mean by "extract the file"??? Extract *what* file?!?! Can
    you be *more* vague? :)

    Again, I need the *NVIDIA* SATA controller driver, *not* the Silicon
    Image driver. Remember, I have no driver CD. I have the driver files I
    downloaded from Gigabyte, but unlike a driver CD, the downloaded files
    contain no standalone driver file, or a 'bootdrv' folder containing the
    menu.exe utility that creates a driver floppy to be used via (F6) during
    an XP install, like a driver CD does. I can't just simply 'extract the
    file' when I'm still trying to install XP on a SATA drive, comprende?

    -Rick

    Rick M., May 8, 2005
  6. Rick M.

    SteveK Guest

    U sure there is a need for it? - I read elsewhere that A64/939 mobos no
    longer need that driver floppy...

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0518-4, 06/05/2005
    Tested on: 8/05/2005 11:01:25 AM

    SteveK, May 8, 2005
  7. Rick M.

    Rick M. Guest

    You don't need it if you've got XP already installed on say a PATA HD,
    but you do need it if you're doing a fresh XP install onto an
    unpartitioned SATA drive greater than 130GB in capacity. Otherwise, the
    XP setup doesn't see more than 130GB of the drive's capacity at the
    point where the XP setup process lets you partition the drive.

    During the setup process, I like to create a few special partitions
    physically located at that physical location on the drive (a "VM" or
    virtual memory partition, a "TempJunk" partition, and a secondary XP
    'recovery' environment), and I can't do so if the XP install process
    doesn't see all of the drive's capacity during the setup process.

    I have found a simple workaround however. I simply grabbed the NForce3
    SATA storage controller driver and the NVidia RAID Class controller
    driver for XP from MSI's site instead, as they have it available as a
    standalone download which fits onto a floppy, and simply made an F6
    driver disk off of that instead.

    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=622&kind=1

    The filename is NVSA020.zip

    It's an older driver version (2.5), but it worked to get the XP setup to
    see the Gigabyte SATA controller and attached drive. Then after XP was
    installed, I simply ran the NVidia NForce3 Unified driver install which
    then upgrades the 2.5 version of the SATA driver to the current 2.6 version.

    -Rick

    Rick M., May 8, 2005
  8. Rick M.

    Rick M. Guest

    I should also point out however, that I was installing XP Pro from of a
    pre-SP1 CD as well. I don't know if an XP CD with SP2 addresses this or
    not.

    -Rick

    Rick M., May 8, 2005
  9. Rick M.

    Udo Kammer Guest

    Unfortunately I have only experience with intel-based motherboards,
    where this problem does not exist.

    You may have a look at the FAQ and ask Gigabyte for the necessary
    drivers.

    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/FAQ/FAQ_464.htm

    Udo Kammer

    Udo Kammer, May 8, 2005
  10. Rick M.

    JK Guest

    The silicon controller should be preferred, since it is locked to pci
    when overclocking. I am not so sure that the nvidia sata ports are so.

    Another trick is (besides Ctrl F1 in bios setup) to set agp to 67 MHz.

    Then check with clockgen for NF3 that sata and agp are both locked.

    Just a comment !

    best regards

    John

    P.S. If you don't want to boot on the sil controller. Then install XP
    with the sil drivers on floppy, and the harddisk on the sil
    controller. I believe that XP sees the nvidia sata and installs the
    drivers. You should afterwards be able to move your harddisk to nvidia
    sata and boot on it.

    JK, May 8, 2005
  11. Rick M.

    SteveK Guest

    should work with a SP2 CD at least a few people posted it

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0518-5, 08/05/2005
    Tested on: 9/05/2005 7:36:19 AM

    SteveK, May 8, 2005
  12. Rick M.

    Ken Peterson Guest

    I just got one of these boards this weekend and installed Windows 2000
    with no drivers applied with the F6 routine at install with the floppy
    - worked like a champ for the Nvidia SATA - I am hanging on WD 36GB
    raptor off SATA0 of the Nvidia ports. If Win2k needed no Nvidia SATA
    driver, then chances are XP doesn't need one either.

    Give it a try without.

    Ken Peterson, May 9, 2005
  13. Rick M.

    Rick M. Guest

    Again, the point is being missed. *My* problem was related to using a
    drive *larger* than 130GB. You, using a 36GB Raptor drive would not
    encounter the problem I did. Furthermore, the next time you boot up.
    check the POST screen carefully, or better yet go into BIOS and see how
    your system looks at the SATA ports -- it lists them as IDE ports, not
    SATA ports. Now while that is no big deal if using an HD smaller than
    130GB, using a drive larger than that (like the 160GB drive I just
    bought), the driver *is* needed if you are setting up Windows from
    scratch off of a pre-SP1 XP CD, *if* you want to use the full capacity
    of a drive larger than 130GB.

    -Rick

    Rick M., May 10, 2005