GA-M51GM-S2G doesn't do squat

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by draak, Jul 9, 2006.

1. draak

draak

Hey, so I'm new to AM2 and am wondering if it is plagued with incompatibilities, or if I'm just being dumb...

I installed an Athlon64 X2 3800+ and 2 x 1GB Kingston 800MHz DDR2 RAM, 1.95v ( KHX6400D2K2/2G )

The problem is that it doesn't do anything. I power it up, fans spin, no beeps, and jack squat is on my display. If I remove the RAM, I get one long beep repeating.

It is unlikely a power supply problem, I tried 2 new ones and both give the same crap. Does the board not like my X2? Or does it not like my RAM? Or is it just a bad board?

Any help you guys can give would be appreciated, thanks.

draak, Jul 9, 2006
  2. draak

JCI

Identical problem with same board and CPU.....Has me puzzled....

JCI, Aug 4, 2006
  3. draak

tweak89

I think the problem is your memory. You've got 1.95v memory in a board designed to run memory at 1.8v

I'm building a new PC based around this board and am having a heck of a time finding 1.8v DDR2 6400 memory that runs at 1.8v. I think I'm going to end up with 2gb of Patriot memory. It's not on the compatablitly list, but it's designed to run at 1.8v unlike most ddr2 6400, well most budget priced memory.

tweak89, Aug 8, 2006
  4. draak

tweak89

Just an FYI, I put together and started up my system last night.
    GA-M51GM-S2G
    3800+ X2 (stock CPU fan)
    X800 XL PCI-e
    WD 160gb SATA II
    Iomega DVD\CD-R\RW
    1gb (2x512) Mushkin DDR2 667
    Enermax 430w power supply

Posted an recognized memory and CPU properly. You might want to swap out your memory and try again. After talking with Gigabyte tech support I went with DDR2 667 for stability. They said that while (and I asked about OCZ Gold DDR2 800 and it's 2.0v) memory with higher voltage should work, it may not post at first. So, you'd have to get some memory to post with to get to the Bios and fool with the voltage so it could post with the higher voltage memory.

tweak89, Aug 10, 2006
Ask a Question