    I suspect it is something to do with one of the Gigabyte drivers but
    have no idea what.

    Any ideas?

    mike friend, Aug 26, 2006

  2. mike friend

    micky Guest

    Other than the color blue; What is the error?

    micky, Aug 26, 2006

  3. mike friend

    mike friend Guest

    Sorry - I wasn't actually looking for help to solve the problem
    (yet!!), I just wondered what the .exe was!! But any help or
    comments would be appreciated

    I have been trying to sort it out myself - and may have done so but
    I'm not certain yet:

    Several BSODs : message : driver-irql-not-less-or-equal.

    I upgraded BIOS to version 4 - no improvement,

    DOS memtest runs OK overnight.
    Using DOS Partition Magic was also no problems.

    Windows memtest (either one two processes) would crash after a few
    minutes
    I also noticed that it was sometimes very slow to start up IE - like
    60 seconds - network connection problem??

    I though I'd start removing things so I disabled both of the network
    ports and un-plugged network cable.
    Then ran Windows memtest (two processes) - no problem ran for about an
    hour until I stopped it.

    Plugged network cable back in on the motherboard port which I had not
    used earlier.
    All now seems ok. In fact have been running Prime95 stress-test for
    the last two hours whilst looking for
    anyone else's similar problems.

    Trouble is I now daren't switch it off.

    Is there something flakey with the network driver or even one of the
    physical ports on the motherboard.

    I'll leave running for some time and then switch the port and report
    back.

    I have very similar problem - built the system a week ago:
    Processor: AMD 64 X2 4600
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M59SLI-S5
    CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9500-AM2
    Disks: 2 x Western Digital WD3200KS
    Memory : 2Gb (2X1Gb) Corsair TwinX XMS2, DDR2 PC6400 (800)
    PSU: Nesteq 450W

    mike friend, Aug 26, 2006
  4. mike friend

    SloPoke Guest

    I've never heard of of an NForce 5xx chipset board running reliably
    with DDR2-800 memory running at full 800 speed. Not even ASUS, and
    certainly not the Gigabyte board. Clock it back to DDR2-666 in the
    BIOS and see if that helps.

    SloPoke, Aug 26, 2006
  5. mike friend

    mike friend Guest

    Please can you advise how to alter the memory frequency - I can see
    FSB, multiplier etc in BIOS but cannot see how to specifically drop
    the operating speed of the memory. What setting / or combination of
    settings is it please?

    (You've guessed - I'm new to this - but I do want to learn, so any
    help is appreciated)

    mike friend, Sep 2, 2006
  6. mike friend

    SloPoke Guest

    The Gigabyte boards are odd in that you have to press CTRL F1 when in
    the BIOS setup screen to enable the "hidden" advanced settings. There
    should be a new BIOS menu item you can enter to change the DRAM speed
    settings.

    SloPoke, Sep 2, 2006
  7. mike friend

    mike friend Guest

    Many thanks for your help - I've now dropped the DRAM speed down as
    you suggested and it appears to be very stable now. I've been running
    Prime95 torture test for twenty hours now (as well as doing other
    things) and no fails or BSDs. Fingers crossed - and thanks again.

    mike friend, Sep 3, 2006
  8. mike friend

    SloPoke Guest

    Your welcome. Hopefully Gigabyte will come out with a new BIOS that
    will solve the DDR2-800 problems. After all, we paid for DDR2-800
    memory and a mainboard that advertises support for DDR2-800 memory.
    It's only reasonable to expect it to work at that speed.

    SloPoke, Sep 4, 2006
  9. mike friend

    SloPoke

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    SloPoke, Sep 21, 2006
  10. mike friend

    SloPoke Guest

    SloPoke, Sep 23, 2006
  11. mike friend

    mike friend Guest

    Excellent - I've flashed mine - we'll see how it goes.

    Much obliged.

    mike friend, Sep 23, 2006
  12. mike friend

    mike friend Guest

    Seems to have cured things - how did you know about the new BIOS
    release - do you subscribe to a newsletter or something?

    mike friend, Sep 24, 2006
  13. mike friend

    SloPoke Guest

    No, I just checked that site out often to see if something new had
    been posted. But there's another site that I check daily that
    actually gave me the heads up:

    http://www.station-drivers.com/

    They're pretty good about posting the latest driver and BIOS releases
    for just about everything. It's in french, but there's no problem
    understanding what's new.

    SloPoke, Sep 24, 2006
  14. mike friend

    pacmann50

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    F5

    The new F5 BIOS did not fix the problem here. Still have to run memory with a handicap (667). My thanks to 'mike friend' for the idea of slowing the ram. It works for me so far, BUT stinks since I paid for 800!

    -Gigabyte GA-M59SLI, Corsair XMS2 2GB(800), AMD 64 X2 4200+, BFG 7800GT x2(SLI), WD Caviar SE16 320GB (SATA).

    pacmann50, Oct 10, 2006