    PLEASE INPUT TO DMI" Does this mean anything to anyone? I have searched
    the web and so far have found nothing useful.

    Thanks!

    David M. Sweeney, Apr 19, 2007

  2. David M. Sweeney

    Paul Guest

    NPT is some kind of acronym that refers to the AM2 processors. I haven't
    seen a definiton of what it stands for. (The search engine on www.amd.com
    sucks for finding stuff like that.) So I would treat "K8 NPT" as
    meaning "processor" in this context.

    DMI is a non-volatile area of the BIOS flash chip. During POST, the
    BIOS code takes inventory of the hardware. It records the size of
    RAM in each memory slot, for example. It should also record the type
    of processor in use, using some kind of meaningful description. In
    this case, the BIOS is throwing its hands in the air, and saying
    "I don't know what kind of processor this is". If the hardware
    inventory has not changed since the last POST, the DMI segment
    doesn't have to be touched - otherwise the BIOS flash upgrades
    the segment in the BIOS chip, with the new DMI data.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_Management_Interface

    When you are booted into Windows, programs with fancy names like
    "DMI Explorer" can be used to examine the DMI data. I believe it
    is also possible to enter certain fields of the DMI, with stuff
    like serial numbers. For the most part, fiddling with the DMI
    is a huge waste of time, for a single home user.

    In big business, the idea was, they would collect the DMI data
    every night, to see if any hardware has gone missing. But I wonder
    if anyone still bothers - it is too hard to police hardware changes,
    unless equipment is under lock and key, with restricted access.
    Most work areas are too open to the public, to do anything
    meaningful if some RAM goes missing.

    Anyway, my guess would be, the next time you update the BIOS version,
    that message could go away. The Gigabyte CPUSupport feature has no entry
    for your motherboard, so it isn't possible to say anything
    intelligent about the BIOS right now. There are a couple
    versions listed here for download. If you aren't using the latest
    version, you could try flashing to the latest BIOS.

    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/...board&ProductID=2500&ProductName=GA-MA69VM-S2

    Paul

    Paul, Apr 19, 2007

  3. 'NPT', is 'Nested Page Table'. It allows different virtual memory page
    tables to be implemented for different processes, and the hardware
    automatically carries out the translation to physical addresses. It is a
    nice feature, that speeds up the memory management.
    I'd suspect you are right on this. The NPT feature, needs sme BIOS tweaks,
    and is new enough for problems to still exist.

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Apr 19, 2007
  4. David M. Sweeney

    visual2k3

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    K8 NPT Data change...Update new data to DMI **FIX**

    The issue is easily resolved. I just built a system for a family member and had that error and hanging issue as well. All you have to do is use the QFlash utility. In that utility there is an option to keep the DMI data. Simply disable that and flash the bios. Blam, it's fixed!

    visual2k3, Nov 27, 2007