    Will the GA-MA785GM-US2H work with Win2K ? Unfortunately I didn't
    notice the lack of Win2K specific drivers until I started downloading
    drivers from Gigabyte.

    Mike M., Nov 28, 2009

  2. Mike M.

    Paul Guest

    Without checking the site and looking at all the drivers involved,
    if I had to guess, the sticky one will be the built-in graphics driver.
    If you need accelerated graphics and some control over the output
    resolution, you might need to plug in an older video card to
    get it. Otherwise, you could end up running Win2K in 640x480
    16 colors. If you try the install, I recommend using a
    slipstreamed Win2K installer disc, with SP4 added to it,
    for best compatibility. In the BIOS, set the SATA interfaces in the
    simplest mode (not AHCI or RAID) and then the Win2K
    driver might work. But graphics will likely be more of
    a problem.

    *******

    This would be an example of an Nvidia video card you might use.

    This card is $30, but you'll need to fit a new cooler to it.
    The customer reviews seem to feel it overheated before dying.
    Hard to say though.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187072

    Cooler for $23.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118117

    Cooler compatibility info.

    http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/VF700_compatiblelist_eng.html

    Click the "products supported" tab, to verify that a driver is
    available for Win2K. Maybe there is a later driver for Win2K,
    but I just didn't see it.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_94.24_2.html

    *******

    For ATI, the Catalyst 6.2 seems to be the last Win2K driver, but so far
    I wasn't able to find an English sentence to that effect. So it
    is a lack of being able to find anything later, which suggests
    this is the limit.

    https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/Catalyst_62_release_notes.html

    Something up to X1900 family may work. I present this one, purely
    because of the absurd price :-( That is why there are still "a couple left".

    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=23522&vpn=X1950 PRO SCS3&manufacture=PowerColor

    I tried a search on Newegg, but in ATI PCI Express cards, it looks like
    they're cleaned out of anything that would run Win2K. You could always try a
    much older PCI bus based card, but that would suck. I use a PCI based
    card occasionally for hardware testing, but wouldn't really like it
    to be in the PC permanently.

    Best guess,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 29, 2009