    Studio Max, Cinema 4D and Adobe After Effects work.

    I will eventually be upgrading to a dedicated video card, but in the
    meantime does the video chipset matter for me?

    Dave, Jun 25, 2008

  2. Dave

    Paul Guest

    For Crossfire or SLI video card configurations (two video cards working
    together, generally of the same brand and type), the software driver
    for the video card, enforces policy based on chipset used. A board
    with Intel or ATI chipset, supports Crossfire. A board with Nvidia
    chipset, supports SLI (Nvidia video cards). So the video card
    driver uses branding information, to decide whether to allow
    two video cards to work in tandem (like alternate frame rendering
    or AFR).

    So the chipset matters, if the motherboard has two video card slots.
    If there is only one video card slot, the video card driver does
    not care which chipset is used when only a single video card is
    involved. The limitation is only applied to SLI or Crossfire.

    You will also find video cards now, which have two GPU chips
    inside the same video card. Examples are 9800GX2 and
    3870 X2. In that case, the package contains 2 GPU chips
    and a PCI Express switching chip to glue them together.
    The 2 GPU chips in that case, are not connected directly
    to the motherboard chipset, and go through the PCI
    Express switch chip. And then the driver allows those
    two GPUs to work together, no matter what motherboard
    the card is plugged into. Things might change, if you
    tried to use two of those dual GPU cards (I expect
    the normal branding policy would apply again).

    For regular usage (where you purchase a single card with
    plenty of horsepower), then it doesn't matter what chipset
    you use on the motherboard. The latest batch of cards have
    just come out, and you should consider the effects of
    the pricing strategy on those new cards, before rushing
    out and purchasing something. You can get a quite powerful
    card for $200.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 25, 2008

  3. Dave