    I like this board but is there an equivalent one that has ECC also?

    Thanks.

    --g

    geoff, Nov 21, 2008

  2. geoff

    Paul Guest

    PDF page 77 here, of the Asus M3A78-EM manual.

    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M3A78-EM/e3861_m3a78-em_manual.zip

    ECC Configuration

    ECC Mode
    DRAM ECC Enable
    DRAM SCRUB REDIRECT
    4-Bit ECC Mode
    DRAM BG Scrub
    Data Cache BG Scrub
    L2 Cache BG Scrub
    L3 cache BG Scrub

    Those are examples on that Asus motherboard.

    On a Gigabyte board, I believe you press <control> F1 while
    in the BIOS screen, to get to advanced memory settings. Maybe
    the setting is in there ?

    I've also seen mention that ECC can be enabled while you're in
    Windows. The A64Tweaker program had an ECC setting (but that
    program is from the S939 era). And I also found a thread where
    someone claimed it could be enabled through "PCI Configuration
    registers". And that means a program like Wpcredit/Wpcrset
    (from H-ODA) or equivalent (baredit).

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/WPCREDIT.shtml

    I don't really believe that is a viable option, because you'd have
    to be able to extract the necessary information from an AMD
    document like this. Doesn't look like a lot of fun...

    "BIOS and Kernel Developer’s Guide (BKDG) For AMD Family 10h Processors"
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/31116.PDF

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 22, 2008

  3. geoff

    Paul Guest

    Oh, I forgot to mention another tiny detail. AMD has ECC interfaces
    on a lot of their processors with the integrated memory controller.
    But at the motherboard level, the motherboard designer has to connect
    the ECC pins on the processor, to the ECC pins on the memory socket.
    If someone forgets to do that, then ECC won't work.

    So ECC is not a function of the chipset, and its absence in the BIOS
    cannot be blamed on the chipset choice. I don't know why it is so
    difficult to include the necessary controls in the BIOS. It should be
    easy (like a module they bind into the code build - not a custom
    piece of code). The code should already have been written for them.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 22, 2008
  4. geoff

    geoff Guest

    Hello,

    I did find where ctrl-f1 has advanced settings but did not see anything for
    memory. I also checked the crucial website and they said the board is
    non-ecc.

    --g

    geoff, Nov 23, 2008