GA-Z87X-UD5H & GA-Z87X-UD4H and video outputs

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Jim, Feb 22, 2014.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I'm stuck between one of these mainboards right now and apart from 2
    LAN's, 2 extra SATA 6 ports there does not seem to be much between them.

    However there is one issue i'm unsure off and how it could effect me in
    the future and it's to do with using onboard video from the CPU (still
    don't know what cpu to get yet), my current monitor only has VGA or DVI
    for connections so i use DVI right now from my video card (HD6450) and
    HDMI part of card to the tv to watch stuff from the pc on the TV and
    that works fine for now but when i move over to the Z87 chipset I
    presume both boards will run DVI for monitor ok AND the HDMI to TV will
    work fine as well.

    However what happens when i change my monitor in the future and i
    suspect monitor will only take HDMI with both the GA-Z87X-UD5H &
    GA-Z87X-UD4H be able to output to both HDMI's, i know the GA-Z87X-UD5H
    has 2 HDMI sockets but GA-Z87X-UD4H only has one and something called a
    display port which i have never heard of before any advice is welcome.

    JIm

    Jim, Feb 22, 2014

  2. Jim

    Paul Guest

    DisplayPort, some of them support dual mode operation.

    In such a case, a passive DisplayPort to HDMI adapter can be
    used. Such a solution should handle 1920x1200 with reduced
    blanking (suited to an LCD), but I can't say whether
    higher resolutions are possible. I don't know if the intention
    of dual-mode DisplayPort is to go to 340MHz or not.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displayport

    "However, Dual-Mode DisplayPorts are designed to transmit
    a single-link DVI or HDMI 1.2/1.4 protocol across the
    interface through the use of an external passive adapter
    that selects the desired signal and converts the electrical
    signaling from LVDS to TMDS. Analog VGA and dual-link DVI
    require powered active adapters to convert the protocol and
    signal levels, and do not rely on Dual-Mode. VGA adapters
    are powered by the DisplayPort connector, while dual-link
    DVI adapters may rely on an external power source (see
    compatibility with HDMI, DVI and VGA)."

    You can try to line up some of the text in that article,
    with this one.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi#Version_1.4

    The 165MHz clock, gets you to 1920x1200. Running at 340MHz
    on HDMI, would take you to a higher resolution (at 60Hz).
    So the DisplayPort should get you to at least 1920x1200.

    The pixel clock is a bit of a misnomer. For each clock tick,
    around ten bits are sent on the cable. So when they say "340MHz",
    that is 3.4Gbits/sec on each differential pair. So it's actually
    a pretty high speed. The clock must be multiplied up, when it
    comes across the cable, to do the sampling. I'm not sure how
    the sampling mechanism works (how the clock phase is adjusted).

    R 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 \
    G 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 \__ Enough for a 3x8bit RGB pixel
    B 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 / 10 bit pattern decoded to 8 actual bits ?
    _________
    Clk _________| |

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8B10B

    So that's to give you some idea when reading the article,
    why some "stuff" is in MHz and some in GHz. It depends on
    whether they're referencing "bits" on the cable, or the
    clock pattern. The clock would be multiplied by ten, to make
    a means to sample each bit value. And the phase needs to be
    adjusted, so the sampling is dead center (spot with largest
    eye opening), on the waveforms on the cable. The reason
    for making 10 bit patterns, to carry 8 bits of data, is
    for DC balance (a bit is sent, just to make the number of
    ones and zeros close to equal)

    The higher the clock rate on the cable, the shorter the
    max length of the HDMI cable. In case you were headed
    off to another room with that signal. For a monitor next
    to the computer, this should not be a problem. It's only
    when it comes to selecting "premium" cables to reach the
    TV in the next room, you're in "wallet emptying mode".
    So in many ways, HDMI and VGA have equivalent problems - on
    VGA, the usable resolution drops, the further away you
    try to go, and something similar is happening on HDMI.
    But VGA is analog and HDMI is digital, so quite different
    in how the signal is getting there, and how gradual or
    abrupt any cable length issues are. HDMI gets "snow" on the
    screen, when the cable is too long.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 22, 2014

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    What the hell was I doing posting about Gigabyte boards in an Asus group?

    These late nights were doing me in, sorry for the huge delay in getting
    back to you Paul, Well i have finally got my head round things and just
    bought an Asus Z87 Deluxe with an i7-4770K and 16GB of RAM, I'll be
    using IGP so no need for video card and i have bought my Display Port
    adaptor so that is on the way, so no doubt i'll be posting here later LOL.

    once again sorry for delay and thanks for all your help.

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 1, 2014