GA7N400 Pro Slow IDE Raid

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Zoney, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Zoney

    Zoney Guest

    Hi all,

    I recently purchased the above mobo and set up a Raid 0 (Stripe) using
    2 ATA 133 60gb drives.

    Using Sisoft benchmark the speed of this drive is returning 27,000,
    which is well below what it should be (probably close to double)

    I previoulsy had these drives on an ABIT mobo using raid and and got
    around 48k.

    The slower loading speed of games is noticable so its not just the
    benchmark reporting low.

    I have all the lates drivers as far as I can tell and F11 BIOS on the
    board.

    Any idea what could be causing the slow drives?

    Many thanks.

    Zoney, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Same problem. Welcome to the world of ITE! My problem was solved by buying
    two pata to sata Siig adaptors and setting up raid on the Sata. My Sandra
    score is now 65550!:)

    Fred Klingenmeier, Sep 6, 2003

  3. Zoney

    Zoney Guest

    Thanks for that.

    I think I will buy two of these...
    http://www.highpoint-tech.com/rh.htm

    I presume thats what you mean by the adaptors?

    ITE try to give a sort of explanation as to why the Raid is slow...

    "4. During RAID 0 with 2HDD array, I find the data transfer rate
    depends on the lower one. Does it mean two IDE channels are not
    independent?

    Compared the performance of IT 8212 card to the performance of other
    RAID cards implemented by S/W, other RAID cards result in heavy
    occupy less system resource.

    Besides, if you want to get a better transfer rate, you can try to
    adjust the parameter of block size in RAID function. Maybe you will
    see a better result in you test.
    "

    Zoney, Sep 7, 2003
  4. SATA is a software chip that uses the cpu, much like a winmodem. the ite is
    hardware which minimizes cpu load.

    additionally, my sandra score with 2 WD Special Edition 120gb's in RAID 0
    (64k) is 27000+/-, but the array is amazing when it comes to 'real world'
    performance.

    re-configuring over a sandra score (an invalid measure, e.g., doesn't
    measure what it purports to measure) seems flippant.

    Hervey Cleckley, Sep 15, 2003
  5. It might seem "flippant" to you, but the scores directly translate to ATTO
    drive benchmark also. Sata raid gave me ATTO up as much as 300% with large
    file read and writes ( 20337 write with the ite chip and 67700 with the sata
    chip).

    Fred Klingenmeier, Sep 30, 2003