    Mode Settings".
    The card works very well, I'm not changing anything at this time, just
    curious.

    Phuc Tup, Jul 12, 2004

  2. Phuc Tup

    Spack Guest

    The readme for the 56.72 drivers is at
    http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/..._55_Graphics_Drivers_Release_Notes_v56.72.pdf

    Page 25 is the list of supported hardware. The 5900 is clearly shown here as
    supported in Ultra, XT, and normal versions. Which readme have you been
    looking at? The 56.72 drivers support everything from the Riva TNT2 and
    Vanta cards all the way up to the FX5950 Ultra.

    Dan

    Spack, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Phuc Tup

    Phuc Tup Guest

    I downloaded my 56.72 from the Gainward web site.
    This is the readme file that came with it:

    NVIDIA Display Driver for Windows 2000/XP version 56.72,
    03/24/2004

    Operating systems supported
    ---------------------------
    Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Microsoft Windows 2000/XP Professional
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

    Adapters supported
    ------------------
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Pro
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Ultra
    NVIDIA Vanta
    NVIDIA Vanta LT
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro
    NVIDIA Aladdin TNT2
    NVIDIA GeForce 256
    NVIDIA GeForce DDR
    NVIDIA Quadro
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200
    NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400
    NVIDIA Quadro2 MXR
    NVIDIA Quadro2 EX
    NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Pro
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForce2 Integrated GPU
    NVIDIA Quadro2 Pro
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440-SE
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 460
    NVIDIA Quadro NVS
    NVIDIA Quadro4 500 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro4 550 XGL
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 with AGP8X
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440SE with AGP8X
    NVIDIA Quadro4 NVS with AGP8X
    NVIDIA Quadro4 380 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro4 580 XGL
    NVIDIA GeForce3
    NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 200
    NVIDIA GeForce3 Ti 500
    NVIDIA Quadro DCC
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800
    NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4800 SE
    NVIDIA Quadro4 700 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro4 750 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro4 900 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro4 780 XGL
    NVIDIA Quadro4 980 XGL
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5800 Ultra
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 1000
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 2000

    File list
    ---------
    ALIAGP.SYS - AGP support file for Aladdin TNT2
    DMCPL.EXE - NVIDIA nView control panel
    GENERIC.TVP - NVIDIA nView generic desktop profile
    KEYSTONE.EXE - NVIDIA NVKeystone application
    NV4_DISP.DLL - NVIDIA display driver
    NV4_DISP.INF - Windows 2000/XP display driver information file for NVIDIA
    NV4_MINI.SYS - NVIDIA miniport driver
    NVCPL.DLL - NVIDIA display properties extension
    NVCPL.HLP - NVIDIA display properties extension help file
    NVIEW.DLL - NVIDIA nView desktop and window manager
    NVIEWIMG.DLL - NVIDIA nView image library
    NVINSTNT.DLL - NVIDIA installation/uninstallation support file
    NVMCTRAY.DLL - NVIDIA media center library
    NVOGLNT.DLL - NVIDIA OpenGL driver
    NVSHELL.DLL - NVIDIA desktop explorer
    NVSVC32.EXE - NVIDIA Windows 2000/XP helper service
    NVTUICPL.CPL - NVIDIA nView control panel
    NVWCPLEN.HLP - NVIDIA nView help file
    NWIZ.EXE - NVIDIA nView wizard
    README.TXT - The file you're reading

    Installation instructions
    -------------------------
    1. These drivers must be installed by a user with Windows 2000/XP
    Administrator
    privileges. Please consult your system administrator or Microsoft
    Windows 2000/XP User's Manual for more information on Administrator
    privileges.

    2. Start Microsoft Windows 2000/XP.

    3. From the Start menu, select Settings.

    4. Select Control Panel.

    5. Select System.

    6. Select Device Manager.

    7. Under Display adapters, select the name of the NVIDIA adapter you have
    installed. If you do not see a Display adapters option, or if your
    NVIDIA
    adapter is not listed, under Other Devices, select Video Controller
    (VGA
    Compatible).

    8. Select the Driver tab.

    9. Select Update Driver.

    10. Select Next.

    11. Select Next.

    12. Verify that "Specify a location" has a check mark next to it. If
    it does
    not, click in the box next to "Specify a location" to place a
    check mark
    in the box. Select Next.

    13. Enter the path to the NVIDIA drivers in the "Copy manufacturer's files
    from:" dialog. Select OK.

    14. If you get a dialog box that states "A suitable driver for this device
    is already installed.", click in the box next to "Install one of the
    other drivers" to place a check mark in the box, then select Next.

    Otherwise, select Next, then proceed to step 16.

    15. Select the following driver from the list. NVIDIA RIVA TNT is used an
    example; make sure to select your NVIDIA adapter from the list.

    Description Provider Manufacturer Location
    ----------- -------- ------------ --------
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT NVIDIA NVIDIA a:\nv4_disp.inf

    Select Next.

    16. Select Finish.

    17. Select Close.

    18. Windows 2000/XP will ask if you wish to restart the computer.
    Select Yes.

    Copyright (c) NVIDIA Corporation. All rights
    reserved.

    Phuc Tup, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Phuc Tup

    Spack Guest

    Looks like Gainward either used an earlier driver readme and just changed
    the version number, or nVidia added FX5900/5950 support to the 56.72 drivers
    and sent a pre-release readme to Gainward. Anyway, I'm running the 56.72
    nVidia drivers with both a Ti4200 and an FX5900XT and had no problems.

    Dan

    Spack, Jul 12, 2004
  5. 56.72 is working just fine on my PNY FX5900 Ultra.

    Timothy Drouillard, Jul 12, 2004
  6. Phuc Tup

    Phuc Tup Guest

    I went ahead and upgraded to the 56.72, it is fine. Thanks for the help.

    Phuc Tup, Jul 13, 2004
  7. Phuc Tup

    syxe Guest

    Using Starstorm 56.72 X form: http://download.guru3d.com/detonator/
    on my Gainward 5900XT "GS" and it works great.

    syxe, Jul 13, 2004
  8. Phuc Tup

    CapFusion Guest

    That list is not complete.
    Goto nvidia and it will show your model for 56.72

    CapFusion,...

    ====

    CapFusion, Jul 13, 2004