Game & serial ports on same bracket

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Derek Hawkins, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. If you got an Asus deluxe board with a game port bracket and no COM2 bracket
    and would like to use both then here's one way to save a slot;

    1. Purchase Asus compatible serial port cable/bracket (part # 07120, $1.25)
    from PC Cables;
    http://www.pccables.com

    2. Purchase game & serial port bracket (only the bracket, $0.49) from
    Computergate;
    http://www.computergate.com/products/item.cfm?prodcd=CBK1509

    3. Disassemble Asus supplied game port cable from bracket using hex socket
    tool.

    4. Disassemble serial port cable from bracket in 1 above using hex socket
    tool.

    5. Assemble game and serial port cables to game/serial port bracket
    purchased in 2 above.

    A better way would be to just buy an Asus compatible game/serial
    cable/bracket if you can find one. I couldn't. These things were common
    during the late eighties along with computer cases with DB9, DB15 and DB25
    knockouts. A computer case with knockouts is a rarity these days and this is
    a shame since one of the pluses of buying a fully featured motherboard
    should be to have more available slots instead of blocking them with
    brackets for the onboard components.

    Derek Hawkins, Dec 9, 2003