Gamer's Choice: Mobo & 800FSB Processors?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Darren Harris, Dec 26, 2003.

  1. I have some SCSI hard drives and controllers and want to build a
    system(or two).

    I've decided that it might as well be a game machine, and I would like
    to know if there is a site that has a search function that allows one
    to input wanted features for a motherboard to present a selection. I
    knew one site, but can't remember the link, and the one for Intel only
    presents motherboards that have Intel chipsets:
    http://indigo.intel.com/mbsg/Default.aspx, and I just wanted to be
    sure I wasn't missing anything good.

    Big question: How advantageous is it to get a motherboard that
    supports a Pentium 4 processor with a 800MHz FSB? I ask because it
    looks like 64 bit hardware will become the most sought after hardware
    within a couple of years. At that time would the top FSB for
    processors go up?(ie: 1600FSB).

    I'm not thinking in terms of a motherboard with over-clocking
    possibilities. The intent is to get a "low-end" Pentium 4 chip for my
    mobo for starters, and then wait until 64 bit takes over and the
    prices for the 3.2Ghz Extreme Edition to plummet. :) From there my
    next system will definitely be 64 bit friendly.

    The only no-brainers for me at the moment are:
    Dual Channel DDR
    AGP Pro
    ATX form factor
    (Most of the other needed features are now standard on the new mobos).

    Lastly, I'd consider some "Gamer's Choice" recommendations for two or
    three mobos that are popular right now.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Thanks a lot.

    Darren Harris
    Staten Island, New York.

    Darren Harris, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Darren Harris

    TomG Guest

    IC7series is my personal choice currently... and yes, I would get the 800
    FSB cpu for increased bandwidth.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified