    to bring it back to life.

    Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? Or even better, does anyone have
    a key sequence I can press or a direct phone # to a pny tech support person?

    Matt, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Matt

    dino Guest

    have you done any work inside the case..change cables..clean out the
    dust?....if you have or even have not..try pulling the board and reseating
    it...are you getting any power fluctuations from your PSU?

    dino, Jul 16, 2003

  3. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Oh yeah, forgot to mention, I uninstalled reinstalled both the game and the
    video card. I also tried an old geforce2mx200 card and it didn't have any
    problems.

    Matt, Jul 16, 2003
  4. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Board has been removed and reinserted, don't know how to check the PS for
    flucuations though. Its a weird problem, no problems with it at all until a
    couple days ago.

    Matt, Jul 16, 2003
  5. Matt

    Temor Guest

    Temor, Jul 16, 2003
  6. Matt

    pete Guest

    Looks like the VC memory is damaged, overheating and freakin out.

    Pete

    pete, Jul 16, 2003
  7. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Not OCd at all.

    Matt, Jul 16, 2003
  8. Matt

    Patch Guest

    that solves the problem, then its heat.

    Patch, Jul 16, 2003
  9. Matt

    John Lewis Guest

    For more precise diagnosis, go down to your local electronic-parts
    store and buy a can of Freeze-spray. With a fine-tube attachment, you
    can accurately cool selected components or board areas. Do
    not overcool; just bursts of spray until frost forms. with the frost
    melting in not more than 2 seconds.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Jul 16, 2003
  10. Matt

    Bruce Tyler Guest

    Is RTCW the only game you play..???
    Yes => Try other games. See if the same thing happens...
    No => Go to next question...

    Does this only happen in RTCW..???
    Yes => RTCW or software at fault not your video card.
    No => Go to next question...

    Does this happen in other apps as well as games..???
    Yes => Monitor your PC heat and voltages under load...
    No => Video card or drivers may be at fault...

    Before you make a decision as to what you think it is,, try to sort
    out what, when, where and why...

    As I said above, try other games, try some apps which require heavy
    CPU useage like audio enoding or large file compressing or running
    some heavy graphics/number crunching program like photoshop. It may
    just be that your card or its drivers or even the CPU are faulting
    under load, due to overheating or bad voltage.. What you have to do is
    to ascertain whether it is an intermittent problem or a full-on
    problem. If it is intermittent then it may be a software problem
    whereas if it is full-on then you must know what will induce it and
    you can then decide whether it is software or hardware at fault...

    To me,,, a "single" game at fault means nothing. This happens to most
    of us at one stage or another... If it "always" happens with all
    games,, then we can start to get technical...

    Another question or three...

    Did you ever play RTCW and have it perform faultlessly at any
    stage..???
    Yes => Have you done something to induce this problem like change
    video drivers or udpate the game or change a setting..???
    No => Did you notice anything strange happening about the time you
    started noticing this problem,, like a power surge or a strange smell
    from your PC or a sudden reboot for no apparent reason... Did you
    install any new software of any sort just prior to this occurence..???

    Did it happen over a period of time, like say a week or two or did it
    just happen out of the blue "the next time" you played RTCW..???

    What O/S are you running..?? What other hardware have you got in your
    PC..?? What other programs are running in the background when you play
    RTCW..?? Try closing some of them first, like Antivirus programs etc..

    Use some sort of "method" in your diagnostics. That way you may notice
    a pattern emerging which could lead you to your answer....

    Bruce Tyler, Jul 16, 2003
  11. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Well, I finally got ahold of someone at tech support and got an RMA # so I
    can send it off.

    Matt, Jul 17, 2003