Games don't use GPU... but GPU testers do? AMD Radeon HD 6850

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Victer Pereira, Nov 18, 2011.

  1. I recently came across an issue where my games all of a sudden started
    having very low frame rates.

    After running some tests with FurMark and CPU Shark I see what is
    happening but dont know how to fix.

    When I run any GPU stress tester my GPU activity jumps from 0 to 99%,
    my GPU Clock goes from 100MHz to 820MHz and my Memory Clock goes from
    150MHz to 1050MHz. I get excellent results from the stress tests and I
    get very acceptable frame rates within the testers.

    When I run any graphic heavy game my GPU activity is 0 and the GPU/
    Memory Clocks both run at minimum as if I never started the game in
    the first place. The only way that I have been able to make my card do
    any work is to run stress tests.

    Ever since issue started:
    I have completely formatted and re-installed to Windows 7 32bit
    I have purchased a completely new video card with a higher chip set
    and issue persists.
    I have completely re-installed video drivers. Current version is
    8.911.0.0.
    I have completely re-installed Divx drivers to Divx 11.
    I have completely re-installed the games. So far testing on 2
    different games on 2 different partitions of the same physical
    hardrive.
    I have bought new cord from card to monitor.
    I have also run CPU/motherboard stress tests (for example Hot CPU
    Tester Pro) ran test for 6 hours. Everything passes.
    I have updated my BIOS to the lasted drivers. My motherboard =
    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H55M-S2H. Bus Clock: 133 megahertz.
    BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. F7 08/20/2010.

    Now this is were I think it all started.
    3 days ago I was playing my games at normal frame rates but then I
    cleaned the inside on my case with a vacuum and after that this all
    started. Yes I know it is not recommended to do it this way and
    believe me I will invest in canned air next time but I have done it
    this way for years without issue. My vacuum has a very long completely
    plastic hose so I don't see how any static electricity could bridge.

    Is it possible that I had a static discharge that is messing me up? I
    was under the impression that if I fried something it would either
    work or not or at least give me some sort of system beep on start up.

    Please help! I dont know if i should keep messing with software
    settings or replace hardware. I have already replaced the video card
    and that didn't help.

    I am willing to post full hardware specs but am unsure best way of
    gathering that information in text format to post on here.

    Any help please?

    Victer Pereira, Nov 18, 2011

  2. Victer Pereira

    Ant Guest

    This newsgroup is pretty much dead. :( Go repost in
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/ and http://forums.amd.com/game/, and you
    will have better lucks. :)

    --
    "No, I'd prefer a cooler WITHOUT an ant-door, thank you..." --unknown
    /\___/\ Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)

    Ant, Nov 18, 2011

  3. Victer Pereira

    Peter Hill Guest

    Well rubber ballons when rubbed on nylon jersey develop static charge
    that will hold them in place.

    Plastic comb when rubbed can pick up bits of paper.

    But's it's not likely if you had the PC plugged in. It would be
    connected to an earth, the case and motherboard earth plane is
    earthed. The power planes are as good as earthed as low impedance to
    ground.

    Peter Hill, Nov 18, 2011
  4. Victer Pereira

    rb Guest

    Static discharge can cause problems, but more than likely you disturbe
    a power connector. Before you make any more software or hardwar
    changes, check the mainboard for loose/disconnnected power connector

    rb, Nov 18, 2011
  5. Victer Pereira

    KCB Guest

    How did you re-install the drivers? List exact steps that you took to do
    this.

    KCB, Nov 19, 2011