Garbled sound with MSI/Realtek witn Windows Media Player 9 - WMP9

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Carlos the jackal, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. Athlon 64 3200+
    MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R (Socket 754) Motherboard
    Realtek AC'97 ALC655 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
    OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Limited Edition CAS2
    Zalman CNPS7000A-Cu CPU Cooler
    MSI X48 Active Panel 48x/24x/16x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive
    Seagate ST3160023AS 160gb 7200rpm Barracuda 7200.7 SATA
    Hightech ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Iceq 128MB

    I just got the following system, all perfect except for 1 little
    thing...after installing all the latest patches for xp including
    directX stuff, and then all the latest stuff for
    bios/realtek/sata/radeon/msi combo drives etc, when I now play any DVD
    in PowerDVD 5 or any audio cd in WMP9 there's a noticeable garbled
    noise of sound from the speakers, which basically sucks big time!

    Dxdiag.exe - plays fine no errors there

    With no response from MSI or Realtek you kinda loose faith in where to
    look so you rest in the belief of your fellow computer bretheren to
    see if anyone else has had this...

    Check this out, changed the MSI drive for an old reliable creat labs
    cd-rom, the garbled sound plays just as bad in WMP9, so I switch it
    back to the MSI, I use Realtek's AVPack media player, the cd plays
    sweet...go figure what's up with that...does WMP9 and this AVPack from
    Realtek use different codecs?

    For DVD's playing them with PowerDVD 5 again teh same garbled sound,
    so somewhere between the drive and the realtek alc655 soundcard is
    screwing up, drives me nuts, yet if I play quicktime files from cd
    same garbled sound, but if I copy them to the hard-drive they play
    sweet...

    Where do I go from here, not far from what I can see or hear...unless
    I play all cd's from realtek's media player, and copy all DVD's to the
    hard drive it's an answer to this one I seek...don't suppose anyone's
    seen or heard this problem before...?

    Carlos the jackal, Mar 1, 2004

  2. (Carlos the jackal) wrote in message
    Okay so I was very fortunate to hear from Realtek and MSI, though MSI
    wasn't as helpful as Realtek, I got from Realtek some uptodate drivers
    released just last week v5.10.00.5420 was what I had, but on their
    website, was v5.10.00.5490 installed this and things got better, but
    not totally fixed...

    1) DVD Audio still some noticeable distortion, but not as bad.
    2) Playing audio cd's in WMP9 no distortion, but perhaps an echo?

    With some playing around with the speaker settings that I have only
    dual Yamaha tried and trusted for donkey's years speakers, couldn't
    fathom it out...

    In Volume Control, I had the following Volume, Wave, CD Player, Line
    in selected, so if I reduced the bar on CD Player, I can still hear
    faintly the music, and I think what's happening is that someone the
    music is either 'bleeding' into the wave volume control, or somehow
    I'm missing a setting somewhere...so I'm caught in a vicious circle,
    if I mute the WAVE so that I can play cd-audio I loose the capability
    of .wav files...yet if I increase the Wave volume I get the so called
    echo effect which is compounded as the Wave volume seems to play about
    0.5 seconds behind the normal CD audio...

    Oh well for now back to Realtek as they so far have gotten closest to
    the problem

    Carlos the jackal, Mar 1, 2004