Gart Driver? Whats that???

Discussion in 'ATI' started by atarileaf, Jan 24, 2005.

  1. atarileaf

    atarileaf Guest

    Hi. I recently got an ATI 9600xt All in Wonder card. The manual says in bold
    letters to load a Gart driver first before I physically install the card.
    Well, first thats not possible because I got the 9600xt to replace a
    defective Radeon 7500 which I returned to the store so there is no card
    currently in the computer in question. So to install the driver I have to
    put in the card so I can use my monitor so its a catch 22 type situation.

    Secondly, I guess this Gart driver, and I'm not even sure what that is, is
    specific to the motherboard chipset. Fine. I have an Asus K8V-X with a via
    chipset. So the ATI manual says to go to the via website to download the AGP
    drivers that I need. Unfortunatly, after looking high and low under
    "downloads" and "drivers" and doing a search, I can find no AGP or Gart
    drivers on their website.

    So what is this driver, that if not installed right away, will cause havoc
    to my computer (according to the ati manual)? And if I can't find it on the
    VIA website, where do I get the darn thing?

    Thanks
    Atarileaf

    atarileaf, Jan 24, 2005

  2. atarileaf

    /mel/ Guest

    You want the Via 4-in-1 drivers, which include the AGP driver. I think
    they're called 'Hyperion' these days.

    /mel/, Jan 24, 2005

  3. atarileaf

    Shawk Guest

    Yep. Bang the card in, boot up, ignore/cancel the found new hardware,
    install the 4 in 1's, reboot. Then load graphics driver. (Personally I
    then run the 4 in 1's again and just pick the AGP driver to load - just
    habit caused by an old graphics driver corrupting the AGP one).

    Shawk, Jan 24, 2005
  4. atarileaf

    borolad Guest

    GART - It just stands for Graphics Address Remapping Table.

    Your 4in1's here:
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/down...20&l3_id=1&m_id=4&f_name=4in1_449.zip~zaqwedc
    ¸ô¶ó

    borolad, Jan 24, 2005
  5. atarileaf

    atarileaf Guest

    Thanks to Shawk and /mel/ for your help. I'll get the 4 in 1 drivers. I did
    see it there but wasn't sure if that was it.
    Thanks again
    Atarileaf

    atarileaf, Jan 24, 2005
  6. atarileaf

    First of One Guest

    You don't *need* to install a GART driver. The worst case scenario, if you
    are running Win98, is the card running in PCI mode, with a 20% performance
    penalty. WinXP may come with AGP drivers already.

    In any case, feel safe to put in the card, install the Catalyst drivers
    normally, then look in the control panels to see if AGP mode is enabled. If
    it is, all is good, no point in installing the 4-in-1's if you don't have
    to. If AGP is "off", install the 4-in-1's.

    The Catalyst drivers does a check every bootup to see if AGP mode can be
    enabled, so you can install the 4-in-1's any time.

    First of One, Jan 25, 2005
  7. atarileaf

    atarileaf Guest

    Ok thanks. Yes I am running XP. I've been using a Radeon 7500 without
    with 9600xt. I'll try your suggestion first. Thanks!

    Atarileaf

    atarileaf, Jan 25, 2005