Gateway 200X, Toshiba A20, Dell 8500

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by David L, Aug 9, 2003.

  1. David L

    David L Guest

    any input on the companies, warranty issues (I'm in Canada)

    anyone own one of the new ones, the Gateway 200X with the Centrino; 1.4
    ghz,
    512MB,40GB, cdr/dvd?

    I've gone through a lot of the previous threads about centrino, my desktop
    is unreliable, and I will need the laptop for university in a years time.

    I do some video editing, but it will not be used primarily for digital video
    editing, via firewire.

    I like the weight (under 5 lbs), but not sure if the Toshiba A20 Pentium 4
    2.66ghz would be better. There isn't a built in firewire port, but could
    easily add one for little $$. If P4 was the way, the P4-M Dell 8500 with a
    2.4 ghz, 512 MB, 40GB, was another consideration with the widescreen. It
    looks like a nice feature. Any coments on the screen?

    Would like to buy one soon, but don't want to be screwed if it wont keep up
    a year from now in university. how is the battery life? any problems.

    How are the battery lives of the two? Any problems with either, or any
    suggestions of other brands/models?
    Thanks in advance,

    David

    David L, Aug 9, 2003