    motherboard in a gateway PC.
    Thanks much,
    -Mac

    Mac, Mar 11, 2006

  2. Mac

    Ben Myers Guest

    CPUs in desktop computers and low-end are not proprietary. You can switch them
    among brands and motherboards at will, as long as the motherboard supports the
    CPU speed and voltage.

    CPUs in multi-processor servers are not proprietary either, but sometimes the
    server manufacturer will exert strict control on processor speeds and steppings
    supported via the motherboard BIOS... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 11, 2006

  3. Mac

    Mac Guest

    Thanks