    All the other BIOS settings look normal and reasonable, and the system
    CMOS battery was replaced recently, because that is a cheap fix if it
    works... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 22, 2010

  2. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    Fixed. Here's what I did on advice from a friend. First, I set the
    BIOS to AHCI. Next, I rebooted and pressed F8. This got me into
    Vista's non-destructive recovery, so I ran the recovery, after which the
    system booted up just fine.

    As is often the case with good old Windows, there are no clues as to
    what went wrong in the first place.

    I was able to do some Windows updates, but not Vista SP2 for the usual
    8-digit hex code reason. I'll leave that up to the owner to figure out.
    I spent enough time with it... Ben

    Ben Myers, Jul 24, 2010

  3. Ben Myers

    chicagofan Guest

    Glad you got the problem solved, since the other smart, technical people
    like you are on vacation. :)
    bj

    chicagofan, Jul 25, 2010
  4. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    That's why I have people to call on the phone to share horror stories
    and solutions to problems. When a newsgroup goes on vacation, someone
    on the phone may be able to help. And vice versa.

    Vista stinks. So do the recover partitions now favored by
    Acer-eGateMachines and most others. Cheaper than including DVDs in the
    package with a system sold, and pathetically unreliable, especially when
    a hard drive goes way south... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 25, 2010
  5. Ben Myers

    chicagofan Guest

    I hate to hear you say that about Acer-eGate machines, because Gateway
    has been my choice for 20 yrs or more. This Gateway laptop has lasted 4
    yrs. with no problems, don't know where I should go, when it finally
    dies. :( Glad I chose not to go with Vista when I bought it.
    bj

    chicagofan, Jul 25, 2010
  6. Ben Myers

    SC Tom Guest

    I agree with Ben about Vista. When I got my Gateway notebook, it came with
    Vista, and after a couple of weeks in hell, I couldn't wait for Windows 7 to
    come out, hoping that it would be better. Thankfully, it is (at least to me
    it is, and I guess that's what counts).

    Luckily, I followed the instructions on how to create a recovery DVD for
    this machine since the hard drive went south about a month or two after I
    bought it. We won't go into the story of how pathetic Gateway's support
    service is. Suffice it to say that after running around in circles with them
    for about 6 months, I never got a replacement drive for the one I sent back.

    SC Tom, Jul 25, 2010
  7. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    The Acer-eGateMachines I have handled in recent years still seem to be
    of pretty good quality except for the notoriously failure-prone Bestec
    power supplies that turn up inside the desktop and tower case computers.
    But they are now in good company, FWIW. HPaq uses Bestec, too. When
    a Bestec fails, it generally takes down the motherboard with it.

    I have no problem with Acer-eGateMachines overall. I'll repeat. VISTA
    stinks. Recovery partitions stink... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 26, 2010
  8. Ben Myers

    chicagofan Guest

    That's good to hear the takeover company is still making generally good
    products. I probably won't buy another desktop when the current one
    dies, and just use laptops from now on. I still have 3 expired and one
    working desktop. The first one I bought is the tall case... I could
    start a museum of pc hardware. ;)
    bj

    chicagofan, Jul 28, 2010
  9. Ben Myers

    chicagofan Guest

    Sorry about your problem. In all these years, I have never had to call
    Gateway Support. Sure hope that continues, and you have no more
    problems. :)
    bj

    chicagofan, Jul 28, 2010
  10. Ben Myers

    SC Tom Guest

    I've had no problems since, except that there were never any Win7 drivers
    created/released for the for my notebook. It's an M6850-FX and was only a
    little over a year old when Windows 7 came out. I've made do with Vista and
    Intel drivers, and it runs great. I increased the RAM from 3GB to 4GB, and
    swapped the T5550 CPU with a T8300. I bought it for the dedicated video chip
    and video RAM, and have not been disappointed with it other than the HDD
    crash and lack of support. It runs everything I want to run, and runs it
    well, and that's what I wanted it to do. Since upgrading to Win7, I have had
    no BSODs, which is more than I can say about when I had Vista.

    SC Tom, Jul 28, 2010
  11. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    As a rule, none of the name brand marketing companies (they are
    marketing companies, not manufacturers!) like Acer-eGateMachines, Dell,
    HPaq, Lenovo, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Sony ever bothers to issue drivers for a
    new operating system. Just ask what's in it for them? Customer
    satisfaction adds $0.00 to the accounting ledger in the short term, so
    why do it?

    In other words, Gateway is no better and no worse than others in this
    regard.

    Fortunately, your M6850-FX is new enough and it uses mainstream chips
    and chipsets, so you were able to find drivers elsewhere, not at the
    Gateway web site. Also, Microsoft did not change the hardware driver
    model going from Vista to Windows 7, so the Vista drivers generally work
    with Windows 7. I guess they did not want to piss off the world again
    with Windows 7. They customarily change driver models with major OS
    releases, e.g. NT to 2000 to XP to Vista.

    As a rule, drivers from Intel and other chip manufacturers are more up
    to date and defect-free than the ones at the name brand company websites.

    Lenovo, with its mostly business-oriented laptops does post some drivers
    for operating systems newer than its laptops... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 28, 2010