    what disks will work?

    Can anyone help this old woman out? :)
    bj

    chicagofan, Feb 10, 2012

  2. chicagofan

    Ken Whiton Guest

    *-* On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, at 17:24:59 -0500,
    *-* In Article <jh45fu$kel$>,
    *-* chicagofan wrote
    *-* About Gateway NV 57H57u Laptop
    It should be able to use either CDs or DVDs. My 2 1/2 year old
    laptop (non-Gateway), running 32-bit Vista, took 3 DVDs. I don't
    remember for sure, but ISTR that it said it would require 17 CDs. :-(
    I'm guessing that your new machine is running 64-bit Windows 7, so it
    will probably take 4 or 5 DVDs, or somewhere north of 20 CDs.
    It should tell you (and give you an option to halt the process if
    you don't have enough disks) at the beginning of the process, *BEFORE*
    it gets to the "Do Not Interrupt" part. I know mine did.
    Sure. Which way did you come in? :-D

    Ken Whiton

    Ken Whiton, Feb 11, 2012

  3. chicagofan

    Frank Guest

    Took me 6 DVD's to back up my old woman's Toshiba.

    When I bought it, CompUSA offered to do it for $20 and I would have
    done that but declined as I would have had to left it in the store for
    at least a half hour and had no other place to go in the meantime.

    Frank, Feb 11, 2012
  4. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    That's right 64 bit, and I've seen other estimates now of 4-5 DVD-Rs. :)
    That's a relief! :)
    LOL!!! That's what I wanted you to tell me! ;)

    Thanks for the great info about your experience and DVDs used. :)
    bj

    chicagofan, Feb 12, 2012
  5. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    LOL! I know she appreciated it, as much as I do you sharing this info
    with me. ;)
    bj

    chicagofan, Feb 12, 2012
  6. chicagofan

    Ken Whiton Guest

    *-* On Sat, 11 Feb 2012, at 21:59:03 -0500,
    *-* In Article <jh79tv$8br$>,
    *-* chicagofan wrote
    *-* About Re: Gateway NV 57H57u Laptop
    64-bit seems to be about all they're selling now, so that was an
    easy guess. The number of disks needed will depend in part in how
    much extra bloatware, aka preloaded software, they saddle you with.
    Once it starts actually writing to disk you don't want to
    interrupt it. Before that, interrupting it probably wouldn't be a
    problem.
    It's an old line, but it's still good for a chuckle once in a
    while. ;-)
    You're welcome.

    There's one other thing. You should have a few extra disks on
    hand, in case of problems. On my laptop, the recovery disk creator
    writes to disk and then checks the disk for errors. 92% of the way
    through the check on the first disk it found an error, so that disk
    became a coaster, and the whole process had to start over again.
    After that, however, it went through the whole process with no more
    errors.

    Ken Whiton

    Ken Whiton, Feb 12, 2012
  7. chicagofan

    chicagofan Guest

    Thanks again, for the great info. :)

    BTW... it took 3 disks for the Gateway Factory Default Recovery disks,
    and 1 disk for the Drivers/Applications only disk.
    bj

    chicagofan, Feb 13, 2012