Gateway randomly shutting off (overheating?)

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Thrasonic, Mar 25, 2011.

  1. Thrasonic

    Thrasonic Guest

    Hi everyone. I have a Gateway T-1625 that has started shutting of
    randomly. I noticed that when it shuts off the bottom of the laptop i
    really hot, hotter than normal. I'm guessing it's overheating. I'v
    run some different utilities to see what the temps are like while doin
    stuff and it will go anywhere between 65C and 90+C. I took off some o
    the stuff from the bottom of the laptop to make sure the fan was workin
    and it is so I'm not sure why it's suddenly began overheating an
    shutting off. Any ideas on what to do? On another forum I saw someon
    suggest to another person having an overheating problem to put som
    arctic silver on the processor. I actually do have some and coul
    possibly do that if you all think that might help. Somebody els
    suggested updating the BIOS because maybe it will fix a fan issue or
    processor issue with the processor not throttling back to cool off
    bit. Let me know your thoughts.

    PS - While on this form the temps been hanging out in the mid to uppe
    80's. I'm not doing anything on the laptop but this right here

    Thrasonic, Mar 25, 2011

  2. Thrasonic

    Bob Villa Guest

    10 degrees shy of boiling seems excessive! If you get to the point of
    tear-down...you will probably find the heatsink clogged with dust.

    Bob Villa, Mar 26, 2011

  3. Thrasonic

    RnR Guest

    Think "compressed air" as a first step.

    RnR, Mar 29, 2011
  4. Thrasonic

    Thrasonic Guest

    Hi all. So it's been a month and a few days ago this all started u
    again. I've noticed that every time the temp starts going up it will g
    down immediately if I unplug the AC adapter. Any thoughts on what migh
    be wrong

    Thrasonic, Apr 23, 2011
  5. Thrasonic

    UXD Guest

    Sounds like the AC power supply is what's overheating. Either it's
    failing, or the excess heat is causing something else to fail. Might
    need to replace the power supply.

    - Paul

    UXD, Apr 23, 2011
  6. Thrasonic

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Or the battery could be going bad and drawing too much power. Try
    running it without the battery and see what happens.

    BillW50, Apr 23, 2011
  7. Thrasonic

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    Oh yeah, I don't know what kind of processor you have, but some Intel
    and AMD processors can change speeds. And depending on the power
    options, it could be set to run at full speed on AC and low speed on
    battery. And running at slow speed, the processor cools down really
    fast.

    BillW50, Apr 23, 2011