    been brave enough to plug it into my cigaret lighter. Does anyone do
    that, without a "special" car adapter?
    Harvey

    Harvey, Jun 18, 2006

  2. No. You need an external adapter (quite cheap, <20GBP).

    The "big difference" is all to do with cost. That combination of battery
    cells, and hence battery voltage, and supply voltage, and hence
    internal smpsu design, gave the smallest cost (also probably lowest
    component count). Running this smpsu off the 12<>17v from a car battery
    is likely to lead to overheating and failure as it tries to compensate
    for the lower voltage.

    What you can do is to hack a battery pack to bits and mod it to replace
    the cells with an external battery pack. I had one (different
    make/model) that allowed me to run a laptop all day from a 12v battery
    in my laptop carry case.*

    No way would I carry it about today - a carry case with a couple of
    wires coming out the top is not likely to pass un-noticed...

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, Jun 18, 2006