    I bought it from a person I work with. His first computer too, and he
    discovered he didn't have the time to learn or play with it.

    Jim

    Jim, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Jim

    Ben Myers Guest

    There is a fix. It's not terribly simple, but it's rocket science, either.

    Many of these old 486 motherboards are not capable of autodetecting the hard
    drive settings. Instead, to set one up, you need to enter in the number of
    cylinders, heads, and sectors/track in the setup (configuration) page. Where do
    these values come from? Open up the chassis, write down the manufacturer and
    model of the hard drive. You'll be able to find out the physical "geometry" of
    the drive from either the drive manufacturer's web site or elsewhere on the web.

    Back then, Gateway used a lot of Western Digital drives, which is what you are
    likely to find inside... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi Ben, .... Your information and directions were the solution. "Thank
    You!" very much. .... Jim

    PS. .... Does this pc have an internet browser, or is it just for
    networking within a business?.

    Jim, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Jim

    Ben Myers Guest

    Every version of Windows since Windows 3.1 has some sort of web browser. If the
    computer is running 3.1, you'll have to look real hard for a 16-bit browser.
    For Windows 95 and later, Firefox or Opera would be the best best, leanest and
    meanest.

    You would probably do well to max out the memory and upgrade the processor on
    the old beastie. Amount and type of memory depends on the motherboard.
    Processor can go as high as 133MHz with the right kit, or just 100MHz with a
    standard Intel 80486-DX4. I used to sell processor upgrade kits for 486s at
    $149 apiece. Not any more. But I still have some old 486 parts kicking
    around. RSVP with the BIOS identification of the motherboard, probably made by
    Micronics for Gateway.

    Swapping out the 486 board for at least a Pentium-class board may make web
    browsing go faster... Ben Myers

    <SNIP>

    Ben Myers, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi, Ben .... My hard drive has 210 mb. I haven't found the other specs
    yet. When I type in ver at the command prompt it tells me I'm using
    ms-dos 6.2. Yet, when it's finished booting, I'm seeing a ms-dos 3.1
    page on monitor?.

    My question is .... would this old pc work with OS systems 95/98/98se.
    "Thanks!" .... Jim

    Jim, Jan 30, 2005
  6. Jim

    Ben Myers Guest

    486s worked sort of well under Windows 95. I think I'd forget Windows 98, which
    would take up almost the entire capacity of the hard drive. In short, I'm a
    little skeptical that it's worth the effort to get it up to speed (literally) to
    run WIndows 95.

    1. A faster processor would be needed, certainly at least 100MHz.
    2. More memory, up to a maximum of either 32MB or 64MB, depending on the model
    of motherboard.
    3. A larger hard drive. Not knowing which motherboard is in the system, I can't
    state whether the largest hard drive supported by the BIOS is 528MB or 2.1GB.

    The cost of all this stuff should be next to nothing, but the time to do the
    upgrades and test would not be worth it in my opinion.

    If you like the Gateway case, you'd be far better off with a Pentium-class
    motherboard and a larger hard drive. Or simply get another surplus computer.
    In these parts, Pentium and Pentium II class computers are getting torn down for
    the few bucks they will bring from recycling the boards and chips for precious
    metal content.

    I'd be happy to sell you a package of 486 processor, memory, and bigger hard
    drives for very very little, but I think you'd be better off going in a
    different direction... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jan 30, 2005