    socks Guest

    on gateway 2000, how do I tell bios that I want to boot from cr-rom?
    only gives me A and C option currently? Running Phoenix BIOS

    socks, Oct 27, 2003

  2. socks

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Exactly what system or BIOS do you have? Older systems did not allow
    booting from the CD. If the option isn't in the currently loaded BIOS then
    maybe a newer BIOS supports it. You need to post more detailed information.

    PC Gladiator, Oct 27, 2003

  3. socks

    socks Guest

    The BIOS page identifies it as Phoenix BIOS

    socks, Oct 28, 2003
  4. socks

    Ben Myers Guest

    Please tell more. Phoenix has been in the BIOS business since the early 1980's,
    although the BIOS in your Gateway system is probably not that old.

    Which version of Phoenix BIOS is it? Which motherboard? Intel shifted from AMI
    to Phoenix BIOS for its motherboards with the last of its Pentium boards, and
    Gateway used mostly Intel made boards for the longest time.

    When you first power up the system, it displays the Phoenix BIOS version, a
    copyright, then a code indicating the model of the motherboard. RSVP with this
    motherboard model code, and somebody may well figure out whether or not there is
    a BIOS update for the board to support booting from a CD-ROM drive.

    If it turns out that the motherboard cannot boot from a CD-ROM, you can always
    prepare a boot diskette to enable you to start up the system, then run the
    operating system setup from CD. www.bootdisk.com is a good place to find boot
    diskette images, mostly for Windows and DOS. If you want to install Linux,
    you'll need a boot diskette to match the distribution of Linux you want to
    install: Red Hat, SuSe, Mandrake, etc... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 28, 2003