    he thought Sub $1,000 PCs were not in the customer's best interests.
    Obviously since then things have changed.
    Has anyone ever seen this ad?

    Justin, Jul 22, 2006

  2. Justin

    Ed Guest

    I do remeber it and a lot of other things Ted Waitt said and/or
    promissed. But you have to remember that that was back when Gateway
    was actually a computer manufacturer supported by their own support
    teams that spoke the same language as the person calling in. That was
    back before they turned into nothing more than a Sales and Marketing
    firm that pushes junk thrown togehter out of China and Thiwan with
    their name stamped on the box and suppored by Rahul out of India.

    I use to buy a new desktop every other year and it was always from GW.
    The last GW desktop was in 2000 and was a nighmare both in quality and
    support. I never went back to them for another desktop after that.
    Thanks to GW, I learned about White Boxes built by reputable local
    builders and the merrits of such. Problem is, we are still dependant
    on these Sales and Marketing firms for our labtops because there ain't
    no such thing as a local laptop white box.... Yet!

    Prior to 2000, when Gateway knew what a computer actually was and
    built their own and what support actually was and supported their own,
    they were a great "Computer" company to do business with.

    Regards,

    Ed, Jul 23, 2006

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I understand.
    I was the same way. I ordered a laptop for my brother a few months ago
    and I have to say I'm dissapointed in all the crap that put on the damn
    thing. I would have been better off reformatting but I didn't have the
    time.
    I think Gateway is dead, they just don't know it.
    The last time I ordered a PC from then, I think was in 1998, and it
    came with just Windows and Office. Period.
    The good 'ol days.
    The c losest thing I can find to a local whitebot laptop are those
    non-OS laptops. You have to look, but they are actually being sold out
    there. I never ordered them.
    I have to retail copies of WIndows XP, every other year when i
    dismantle my desktops and sell off the parts and later build a new
    maching I just use that.
    Yeah... nostaliga.
    I wish ONE motherboard manufacturer would make a modern board, withn no
    NIC, no sound and no video. Just for those of us who know what we're
    doing.

    Justin, Jul 23, 2006
  4. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    I can't argue loudly about on-board video, but on-board NIC and on-board audio,
    provided they are of reasonable quality, cost pennies to build into a
    motherboard and give excellent performance. Intel or Broadcom NIC chips are
    first rate. So are ADI audio chips. So why would you need something different?
    The best argument would be if one were a major audiophile with discriminating
    ear to match. Then maybe a $200 audio card would make sense. If so, the
    on-board audio can always be disabled.

    On-board video is not really awful either for most run-of-the-mill computing
    tasks. It simply does not cut it for gamers... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 23, 2006
  5. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I understand that, I simply like choosing every component.
    than again I also liked paying a buck for a gallon of gas too.

    Justin, Jul 23, 2006
  6. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Component or commodity? They are all commodities these days. In a few areas,
    there are some brands of commodity components that are better than others.
    There are good quaility motherboards (Intel, Asus and maybe a couple others) and
    pure junk (PC Chips, ECS, Matsonic, MicroStar and any other brand name for a PC
    Chips board). There are good hard drives (Fujitsu, Seagate) and junk (Maxtor
    now assimilated by Seagate, Samsung). There are decent CD/DVD
    readers/burners/combo drives (Sony, Hitachi, LG) and really and truly no-name
    brands. Cases differ in price, quality and features. You still have major
    choices available like AMD vs Intel or Celeron vs Pentium 4 vs Xeon.

    So pick your commodity components from what is available and move on.

    .... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 24, 2006
  7. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I suppose you're right.
    Of course, I can't afford to build a new PC anyway thanks to school.

    Justin, Jul 24, 2006
  8. Justin

    Ed Guest

    Does Maxtor being "assimilated" by Seagate mean that the quality of
    Maxtor might rise a bit or is it just a change of label ownership and
    will not effect the manufacturing process associated with Maxtor?

    Regards,
    Ed

    Ed, Jul 25, 2006
  9. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Seagate is the Borg in this matter and the general feeling in the industry is
    that Seagate bought market share and not technology, and that Seagate will phase
    out Maxtor hard drive designs as quickly as possible, to maintain its own decent
    reputation. There is no sense in carrying forward two sets of hard drive
    designs, two sets of engineers, etc. I would expect the Maxtor brand name to
    carry on for a bit, then get dropped, as when Quantum was bought by Maxtor. I
    tore down an older computer the other day and one hard drive had a Maxtor label
    on an obviously Quantum design. The failed second drive in the system was
    (Surprise!) a Maxtor of Maxtor design... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 25, 2006
  10. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I never had problems with Maxtor... I know people who did.
    I like Western Digital myself.

    Come ot think of it... I haven't had a hard drive fail since 1995 and
    it was a Fujitsu.

    Does that mean I'm due?

    Justin, Jul 25, 2006
  11. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Quick! Back up everything! Ten or more years without a failed drive is
    pushing your luck! Hurry! ... Ben

    Ben Myers, Jul 25, 2006
  12. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Well I quasi back up. I saye importans junk on diskettes and jump
    drives. I back up big files onto another PC thanks to the LAN.

    Justin, Jul 25, 2006
  13. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Quasi backup is better than none. Why not a CD-RW with the capacity of over
    400 floppy diskettes? And generally more robust, too, if taken care of
    properly... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 26, 2006
  14. Justin

    Ed Guest

    Actually some companies that buy out others keep the other's name in
    tact in order to "own" their own competition. That way, when you get
    pissed off at, lets hypothetically say Seagate, and run off an buy a
    Maxtor to get even, you are actually buying from one and the same.

    Regards,
    Ed

    Ed, Jul 26, 2006
  15. Justin

    Ed Guest

    I use Ghost 2003 on DVD+R's. I have never had much luck with
    DVD-RW's. There always seems to be one that will not "reload" after
    being written to. Same problem going back over 4 systems with 6
    different optical drives and using Nero and Easy CD/DVD Creator. With
    that, I can say the problem isn't with the systems, drives or software
    but the media. I don't trust RW.

    Regards,
    Ed

    Ed, Jul 26, 2006
  16. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    Yes, like Gateway and eMachienes, or Hewlett-Packard and Compaq.

    With the large majority of drive sales still OEM through system builders, I
    would bet that if the Maxtor brand name survives, it will be as a retail brand.
    You can't full procurement managers the way you can fool consumers. But the
    Maxtor brand has a well-deserved poor reputation. If it was my brand name, I
    would put a stake through its heart and wear a neckace of garlic cloves to ward
    off failing Maxtor drives... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jul 26, 2006
  17. Justin

    Justin Guest

    The floppy disk is for term papers and various MS Word docs.
    Everything isnce undergrad is on one diskette dating back to 1995.
    Not the same diskette.
    Byt yes, big crap I put on CD and DVD-R and RW's.

    Justin, Jul 26, 2006
  18. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I've had issues with RWs too. CRC check failed seems to be the most
    popular error I get.
    My brother the techno challenged seems to use them for years without a
    problem.
    I don't get it.

    Justin, Jul 26, 2006
  19. Justin

    Justin Guest

    I have one chugging away in my Linux machine thats constantly on for
    the past three years.
    Hehehee...
    I don't have dust bunnies in the PC... I have dust bison.

    Justin, Jul 26, 2006
  20. Justin

    Jack Guest

    : "There are good quaility motherboards (Intel, Asus and
    maybe a couple others) and pure junk (PC Chips, ECS, Matsonic, MicroStar and
    any other brand name for a PC Chips board)."

    Ben, what have you found wrong with MicroStar motherboards? I've only seen
    one with the bad capacitors issue, the rest (< a dozen) have been very
    stable.

    Jack

    Jack, Jul 26, 2006