GCT Coverage Tool

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by jtp, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. jtp

    jtp Guest

    Hi!
    I am working on a company which doesn't require a unit tests.
    I definently want to validate my software to myself if nobody
    else is not interested.
    Seems like I have to do unit tests with freeware tools because
    my company doesn't want to invest in those tools.

    I have been learning how to test my software, testing techniques
    etc.
    Now I would like to have somekind of measurement about
    the coverage of the testing.
    I came up with GCT coverage tool and Brian Marick said in
    some document that GCT can be used in embedded systems.

    So does anybody have experience about the GCT in embedded
    systems?

    Please feel free to give opinions also about the free
    unit test frameworks.

    Thanks.

    jtp, Jan 7, 2004

  2. If everyone develops correct code then what's the problem?

    Stephen

    Steve Maudsley, Jan 7, 2004

  3. jtp

    jtp Guest

    Not me, and that's the problem.
    As I am a quite novice on the field it's pretty difficult to
    develop correct code when there is no code inspections and
    no unit tests.
    So I am thinking about improving the quality of my code because
    the software I made to the last project, which was my first, was
    terrible.
    Better yet, it's in the final product and I have the hard time
    to sleep my nigths proberly. ;)

    jtp, Jan 8, 2004
  4. GCT appears to have been abandoned long ago. Pity, since its abilities
    look quite promising (weak mutation test, etc.). I've never really
    really succeeded to get GCT installed under Linux. Would be
    glad to here from someone who has.

    What kind of coverage do you want to measure?

    - If you work with GCC, simple statement coverage can be measured with gcov.
    - Then, there is ATAC, wich does block coverage, decision coverage and DU-Paths
    coverage. An old version of it (worked quite nice under Linux last time I
    tried it) is freely available at http://dickey.his.com/atac/atac.html,
    while a newer version with advanced features is available as commercial
    product (see http://xsuds.argreenhouse.com/)

    Hope this helps

    Rob

    Robert Kaiser, Jan 8, 2004