GeForce FX 5200 dual monitor/display problem: Identical images nomatter which mode chosen.

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Paul Kaye, Jul 25, 2008.

  1. Paul Kaye

    Paul Kaye Guest

    I'm having the same problem as here:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/al...ual+monitors+identify+as+one#97c0d65d689d062c
    but the solution found does not apply to me. Let me describe the
    problem:

    I have just installed a GeForce FX 5200 card in order to get a dual-
    display function to enlarge my desktop. Both screens are LCD; one is a
    Dell, the other a MAG. They both have VGA plugs and I am using a DVI-
    to-VGA adaptor to allow the use of the DVI port. There doesn't appear
    to be any difference if I switch the ports ('standard' and DVI) into
    which the monitors are plugged. The problem is that, although both
    Windows and the NVIDIA control panel recognise that two monitors
    exist, I cannot extend my desktop across the two - the same image is
    displayed on both monitors at all times. I have tried every option in
    the Windows display control panel as well as every option in the
    NVIDIA control panel.

    Both monitors are recognised (two monitors are shown in the Windows
    display control panel and both, named, monitors are listed in the
    NVIDIA control panel. A screenshot is here: http://www.brookwade.com/printscreen.jpg
    .. Interestingly, although I only see the left hand half of this image
    on both screens, if I use "print screen", the resulting image is 2
    screens wide. The 'empty' area on the right hand side of the
    screenshot is not displayed on either monitor.

    Nevertheless, if I click on 'identify' (in either the Windows or the
    NVIDIA control panel), a large "1" appears on both screens, as opposed
    to a "1" on one and a "2" on the other, which would normally be the
    case.

    It seems to me that the problem is more fundamental than one of
    drivers, but I don't know enough to work out what it is. Could it be a
    BIOS thing?

    Anyway, if anyone can help, I would be incredibly grateful; I've
    already spent 3 hours on this!

    Many thanks in advance for your time.

    Paul

    Paul Kaye, Jul 25, 2008

  2. Paul Kaye

    Paul Guest

    For a picture of the options and their names, try PDF page 88 here.

    ftp://download.nvidia.com/Windows/91.47/91.47_ForceWare_nView_User_Guide.pdf

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 25, 2008

  3. Paul Kaye

    Paul Kaye Guest

    I'm afraid that's not the problem. I've done that and the wizard runs
    fine. What I get is the same half of the dual-screen desktop on BOTH
    monitors. If I change the orientation, I get the other half of the
    dual-screen desktop on BOTH monitors. Basically, the computer thinks
    everything is just fine. But both monitors display the same thing all
    the time, no matter what I do!

    Paul Kaye, Jul 26, 2008
  4. Paul Kaye

    Paul Kaye Guest

    Yes, I get clone view even when I choose Dual View. However, as I
    pointed out, it is not a 'normal' clone view - the computer attempts
    to spread the desktop over two monitors but displays the same half on
    both. I'm convinced the machine is treating both ports as the same as
    even when I choose "Only use one display (single)", I get an image on
    both screens. This time, however, it is a perfect clone view as the
    computer is not trying to split the desktop onto two displays so I get
    the whole desktop on both screens. I'm using WinXP Pro and the driver
    is 6.14.11.7519 (according to Windows' "Device Manager", although the
    file I downloaded unpacked itself into the folder: Win2KXP\91.31 ).

    As I said earlier, because it seems so much of a fundamental / low-
    level problem, I can't help thinking it's something to do with the
    BIOS. Could this be?

    Paul Kaye, Jul 26, 2008
  5. Paul Kaye

    Paul Kaye Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks, I'll give those a go. It might be a while till I reply but

    Paul Kaye, Jul 27, 2008