GeForce FX 5200 Ultra vs 14 month old GeForce 3 Ti200

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Kai Robinson, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    Judging by my current cards state - it may be time to get a new one.
    However - price is a major factor.

    I've been looking at the benchmarks at:
    http://www.ixbt-labs.com/articles2/over2003/index.html

    And it looks like the 5200 Ultra is a lot better than the 3 Ti 200 at stock
    speeds. However, i have the option of also getting a Radeon 8500 (275/275)
    for £30, a Radeon 8500LE 128mb (250/250) for £27 or another GeForce 3 Ti 200
    (identical to mine) for £20

    Out of those cards (FX5200U, R8500/8500LE & GF3Ti200), which one would you
    choose? Ideally i'm looking for something that'll handle Doom III - doesnt
    need to be fancy - just be a decent card and worthy of touching my MSI KT3
    Ultra :)

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Jan 26, 2004

  2. Kai Robinson

    Rick Flair Guest

    8500 is the best of all you listed there.

    Rick Flair, Jan 26, 2004

  3. Kai Robinson

    bluestringer Guest

    The 5200 Ultra performs very good for me. Don't know about Doom 3, but it
    plays my flight sims and racing sims quite well.

    bluestringer

    bluestringer, Jan 26, 2004
  4. Kai Robinson

    DaveW Guest

    Doom 3 will require a heavy duty DX9 capable card. Of your list, only the
    FX 5200 U is DX9 capable. But its doubtful with its slow clocked speed that
    it'll handle Doom 3. For that amount of money, your intent is in trouble I
    believe.

    DaveW, Jan 27, 2004
  5. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    Erm - even *i* know that Doom III doesnt NEED DX9 hardware to run right - if
    that were true - then it would be alienating a hell of a lot of people who
    dont have the latest and most expensive. From the alpha - it has the
    NV10/NV20/NV30 codepaths, as well as the R100/R200/R300 codepaths.

    Of course a 5950 Ultra would be nice and probably necessary to run the game
    with all the details turned up full - but you dont have to have one to play
    it in 800x600.

    Kai Robinson, Jan 27, 2004
  6. Kai Robinson

    v56k Guest

    The 5200/ultra is a waste of money - it is DX9 capable but doesnt have the
    power to use it and is slower than most previous gen cards - think of it as
    a kind of MX 460. If the GeF3 Ti200 is slower it wont be slower by much and
    a Ti4xxx will kick its butt even in DX9 games.

    v56k, Jan 27, 2004
  7. Kai Robinson

    bluestringer Guest

    Wish I had knew that before I switched my Ti4200 for the 5200 Ultra. My
    games looked and played so much better with AA and Ansio with the Ultra, I
    threw my Ti4200 in the can. :-(

    bluestringer

    bluestringer, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Kai Robinson

    Kai Robinson Guest

    To be honest - i dont much give a toss about DX9 performance - seeing as the
    sort of games i have already are DX6/7/8 and the only ones i can think of
    that will use DX9 to a large enough extent that i'll *want* will be Doom III
    and Half-Life 2, and by the time they're released, i'll be old, grey and
    using a zimmer frame.

    Performance wise the 5200Ultra looks good in comparison than the Ti200 - in
    the ixbt benches - it scores consistently higher than the Ti200 - okay in
    some areas its not much faster - but its cheap enough to replace my Ti200
    for the time being - and still deliver decent performance. The problem now
    is finding one on ebay....

    Kai

    Kai Robinson, Jan 30, 2004
  9. Kai Robinson

    Darthy Guest

    Unless the performance difference is more than 20%, you're not going
    to notice it. A Ti4200 would give a more noticable performance boost.

    Darthy, Feb 3, 2004